What to keep an eye out for at junk yards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody here visit junkyards? Interested in hearing people's general rules/opinions on what's worth looking for and what's worth skipping over.
I've been a handful of times so am in no means an authority figure on the subject. Found some dash AC vents in good condition for a 94 f150, my fins were loose and broken. Found a sun visor/mirror on a 08 accent and a rectangular piece of fabric that covers the bottom of the center console. Basically I've just grabbed random knick-knacks that I come across to replace missing or broken nonessential parts.

Keep and eye for any sensors or actuators that are clean and shiny meaning they might be replacements. Watch for high quality floor mats that might be better than yours. If you live in the snow belt always watch for good quality snow tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
eBay is also a good source now.

For so many things both old/new … lots of nostalgic stuff (per your taste) ... used/new parts/tools …
I needed a crimping tool for one job only … used was 1/3 the cost and when I opened package it was pristine and stout …

I’m totally turned off by the CEO of Amazon and now all online is eBay or Walmart …

32.gif

Basically stay out of cars that have been in a major crash. Most often blood and bodily fluids have wrecked the interior if the crash wasn't enough. Beware of black mold in the cars that are exposed to the elements. You don't want any interior parts from those.

Originally Posted By: Run
Basically stay out of cars that have been in a major crash. Most often blood and bodily fluids have wrecked the interior if the crash wasn't enough. Beware of black mold in the cars that are exposed to the elements. You don't want any interior parts from those.

I encountered one of those a few years ago, it was marked biohazard
crazy2.gif

R9QxR4M.jpg

In the summertime, watch out for wasps. They love to build nests in door jams.

A good source for electrical connectors, but be polite. The local junkyard marks cars with good motors by writing it on the roof in white paint. Don't take parts off those motors, or cut the wiring harness, as the wiring harness goes with the motor.

Like you, mostly nick nacks, smaller stuff that needs replacing. I found a nice fancy factory silver console to replace the base gray console on my daughter's car. So sometimes you can find parts to upgrade parts on a base model car.

"Entertainment" I see cars that make me lament that they should have been repaired and still on the road. I see cars that remind me to "drive safe". Most of the old old stuff is long gone. They rotate their stock to keep it fresh.

Last edited:
Well , if you are looking for say a replacement engine try to get one from a car that’s sitting there with one alreadymin it. Often they will still start and run with a jump. That way you know the mileage and hopefully condition. It also helps you avoid one that took a big hit right on the block itself. Same goes for the tranny . At least you know it wasn’t the tranny dying that killed the car. You don’t want to go to trouble of installing to find out it’s [censored].
Front fenders, mostly avoid as they are cheaper on line and new. Pickup truck beds, tailgates ect even car doors you can often find one that’s the same color if you look. Lug nuts extra rims for snow tires is a favorite.
Still, these days you can get most yard type parts new aftermarket off Fleabay Amazon without the hassle. Same goes for engines tranny’s . For not much more you can get a certified guaranteed low mileage from Japan for not much more and they are in immaculate shape. I seldom hit yards anymore because of this

crazy2.gif

R9QxR4M.jpg

sick.gif

Originally Posted By: Driz
Well , if you are looking for say a replacement engine try to get one from a car that’s sitting there with one alreadymin it. Often they will still start and run with a jump.

At our Pick and Pull the oil and antifreeze are drained and you aren’t allowed to bring in car batteries due to the fire hazard, so no chance for starting.

Depends on what you need. I've gotten extra caps for the AC high and low ports, sometimes picked up extra fasteners for interior bits. Usually the vehicles in looking at in junk yards have had the interior stripped.

Next time I'm at the junkyard I'll look for the plastic caps for the wiper arm nuts.

Once my Honda accord Car stereo was stolen along with the little cubby. I called Honda they wanted $40 for a new one. Found one at the junkyard for $3.

Last edited:
If you have the money and space, keep your eyes open for anything you deem as useful. Cooling system bleeder screw valves for Buick 3800's are easy enough to pull, and worth the small effort, if you have a Buick 3800. For me, if I had the extra cash, I'd start pulling GM Rochester TBI units complete with harness and est distributors to put back for my Roadmaster. Those little sensors such as the throttle position sensor are expensive from the parts store.

crazy2.gif

R9QxR4M.jpg

Creepy story about something like that! A few years back I was in the junkyard looking for a wheel for my Taurus. I came across the EXACT car as mine. It was the same year, color, optioned exactly the same (leather / SES ) . It only had 100 more miles on it than mine. It was marked bio hazard and it's pretty obvious the driver was killed in a T-Bone accident.

The next 100 miles on mine were quite nerve wracking.

I have a friend that makes great money doing this. He specializes in Fords,but grabs anything he can sell. Recently he found a 428 ford in a station wagon. Then a front clip for a 58 fairlane. He paid $200 for the front clip and sold it for $1200 a few hrs later.

He is sitting on a set of 426wedge cross ram intakes,most have been polished. These have not so they still have date codes and casting numbers.

I am in junkyards 2-3 times a month. I grab anything and everything. Its amazing what people leave in their cars when they wreck them or send them to the junkyard. I've scored aftermarket amps, subwoofers, high end speakers, expensive stereos...... pennies on the dollar. Built an awesome stereo system for my boat using stuff I found in junkyards. Not to mention wrenches, screwdrivers, breaker bars, sockets, any tool you can imagine, I've found. The amount of money I have found under seats and floor mats could finance a small village. I was in a local yard yesterday rummaging through the back of a Toyota 4runner and found a completely unopened head gasket replacement kit just sitting in the back. Had everything in it, brand new, not even out of the shrink wrap. Head gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, bolt set, valve seals, exhaust donuts, the whole works. What a waste. Didn't take it as I had no personal use for it, but good grief what a waste of perfect new parts.

Couple years ago I stumbled upon a 240sx sitting between two trees, bushes growing up through the wheels and the opened hood, looked like it had been sitting there for years. Opened up the driver door, greeted with newly upholstered passenger and drivers seats, exact color that I was looking for, in a slightly heavier duty fabric than the factory and perfect without a speck of dirt on them. I was ecstatic, as my seats were dirty and well worn and had wear holes and tears. They practically gave them to me.

Recently my daughters friends late '90's Camry had one of the rear brakes lock up and overheat. Parking brake cable locked up, shoes worn to the metal, drums rusted solid, etc etc. No money to his name, works part time minimum wage while going to school full time finishing his degree. I sourced all the parts at the stores and it was going to run him about $150 for everything. On the way home from work I stopped at one of my favorite local yards, found a Camry same year as his, pulled the rear wheels off... Score! All new rear brake hardware, everything exactly as I needed. Shoes, drums, clips, springs, etc. None of it looked more than a few months old, shiny springs, rust free drums, everything. Grabbed my tools at home and went back to get every piece of it, it was a gold mine of almost brand new parts. Out the door, $20. He was thrilled.

Other than vacuum hoses, wiper blades, fluids, and headlight bulbs, there isn't anything I wont reuse from junkyard cars if I can find it.

Look for anything for your car that has lower mileage than you do like ,alternator or starter or idle control valve. Fuses and fuse box assembly, wiring harness and relays. Brake rotors and calipers can be good to if the car has low mileage. Fuel pumps may be easier to get to also and just looking at how to remove the parts you want can make replacing your parts easier. Son recently replaced starter for his van for just $13.00 It was a nearly new Motorcraft rebuilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back