E85 conversion boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So whats up with these boxes, theyre kinda expensive in my opinion for what they do. Do they work? anyone have experience with one.

I ran e85 in my 4cyl Neon college commuter a few years ago. It was an 01 RT model so timing is more aggressive, so Ive read anyway, and I could feel the difference in power. All I did was put in bigger fuel injectors, 24lb/hr ford mustang ones in place of the original 19lb/hr. Ran strong, Of course starts became difficult once temps got below 40-50F, then went back to regular gas.

Had two fuel rails, so I could switch back to stock injectors in 5-10min if need be.

Last edited:
Not familiar with these boxes, what exactly are you referring too?

I know that most new vehicles can run E85 but will not get the full benefit if they are not "Flex Fuel" vehicles from the factory.

I read up on some of the truck forums and the Camaro forum where they are converting their vehicles over by installing the ethanol sensor and depending on the vehicle bigger injectors and larger fuel pumps then tuning for it and getting 10 to 20 more rwhp. Just from the switch and running E85.

Newer vehicles with direct injection seem to do well just with the ethanol sensor and tune. Like the 2014 and up GM trucks.

I run it in my 2002 Silverado with the 5.3 at a mix of 50/50 and it runs great. Been running it for over 3 years now. I like the fact that it burns cleaner, higher octane and is less expensive. Here at least E85 is $1.95 and premium is $2.90. So it is worth the hit in mpg since the cost is basically the same per mpg.

I also noticed that when I ran it in my Camaro, I didn't get that black soot on my tail pipes like with gasoline.

Because it equals high octane gasoline which we can't get at the pump. Quality E85 is equal to about 112 Octane, or very hard to find premium AvGas ...

It's the single greatest thing the Greenies have evry done for the true hot rodder
laugh.gif

12.5:1 compression ratio on the street. Or nutty big turbos - your choice
laugh.gif

Here's a 9 second 1/4 mile car as an example: MCM Sleeper

112 Octane race gas is like $12/gal delivered in 55 gal drums. E85 is like $2.75 around here, if you can find it. Bring your own drums and fill up
smile.gif

But for NA engines with pump gas compression ratios, or small turbos, it does not do much ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas
I can't comment on the boxes, but why would anyone choose to burn E85?

Well, cheaper is one reason. My 2015 2500 6.0 averages about 14 mpg on regular. On E85 it averages about 11 mpg. Sounds like a loss, right?

Well, regular is going for $2.58 in my area. That comes out at about 18.5 cents a mile to use the stuff at 14 mpg. E85 is going for $1.70 which equates to about 15.5 cents a mile fuel cost at 11 mpg..... 3 cents a mile cheaper than regular even with the lower mpg.

Of course this is all regional. Not every one has those kinds of price advantages. But back when we were pegging $4 gas several years ago, my 2013 pickup lived on E85 for almost 2 years. it averaged about $1.50 a gallon cheaper than regular. We are in the same boat again. The price spreads are such it makes economic sense to use E85. Boy, how I do love flex fuel engines.

Just filled up yesterday with E85 at 2.28 per gallon. Trucks are much more lively and shift far better at part throttle because of timing. Runs so sweetly I would use it every day...

Originally Posted By: heyleescomet
All I did was put in bigger fuel injectors, 24lb/hr ford mustang ones in place of the original 19lb/hr.

Good to know that worked for you. I've considered stepping past my e35 ethanol blends and trying the same by running ~320cc 2AZ-FE injectors on my 1MZ-FE with stock ~255cc ones.

Injector swap is probably more straightforward than whatever box you're referring to.
To be effective, I would guess it alters injector pulses somehow to inject more fuel, and maybe toys with ignition timing- which usually isn't that necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back