Dealership 5 min Oil Change and Tire Rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since they had 4 guys working, it is actually a 20 min service:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgboaFuXF3s

Not sure how I feel about only allowing the oil to drain for 2 minutes. This explains why I see cars with overfilled oil after an oil change - the old oil is drained incompletely and the OEM specified quantity of oil is still installed. This goes to show that doing your own oil changes has its advantages.

2 minute drain? It was less than 50 seconds!

He was replacing the drain plug while there was still a stream. If the dude doing the filter had been quicker, he was looking to close it up even sooner!

I let mine drain for 10+ minutes until it's down to a drip-drip. Probably only 1/2 a quart between what they're doing and what I do, but that's why we're on this site and not going to a 5 min quick lube.

Five minutes to perform a oil change is what I would refer to as a half-arssed job. If you can’t do it right then don’t do it at all.

I’m glad I change my own oil. It gives me the chance to look things over and do some cleaning while the oil is draining.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

He was replacing the drain plug while there was still a stream. If the dude doing the filter had been quicker, he was looking to close it up even sooner!

To me it’s micro managing the oil change process. Less time so you can promote it that way. Less new oil dispensed since only half or 3/4ths of the old oil came out. Still charge for a full fill though.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

To me it’s micro managing the oil change process. Less time so you can promote it that way. Less new oil dispensed since only half or 3/4ths of the old oil came out. Still charge for a full fill though.

Not sure about that- I think they still use a full fill.
As I mentioned in the original post, most of the cars that I see from the local dealer (multiple makes) have an oil level that is at least 1/2” over the full mark.

When I do an oil service on my own car, I allow the oil to drain for at least 20 minutes. On customer cars I wait until it is a drip; I never reinstall the plug when a stream of oil is still coming out.

When i lived in the capital i had no tools so i took
Car to pepboys with my own jug of M1. The car was still
Draining out hard and they just closed it up and stuck all
5 qts into it and called it a day. (My car takes 4 qts)
Needless to say i never went back there
Nor did i ever let someone else touch my car down there haha

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Not sure how I feel about only allowing the oil to drain for 2 minutes. This explains why I see cars with overfilled oil after an oil change - the old oil is drained incompletely and the OEM specified quantity of oil is still installed. This goes to show that doing your own oil changes has its advantages.

Some vehicles, two minutes is more than enough. However, there are plenty enough where it's not ideal, as you indicate. Small block Chevy engines were usually fairly quick. My buddy who had an A4 for a short period, that came out like it was a fire hydrant. In 15 seconds, it was mostly done.
wink.gif

I noticed the guy with the electric torque wrench was removing lug nuts with the full vehicle weight on the wheels. I don’t like doing it that way. It burrs the threads. Also, a guy was operating his electric torque wrench at eye level without safety glasses on. One guy removed all the lug nuts from the rim then walked away. Gong show.

Last edited:
I let mine drip overnight. It get's another 1/2 quart out. It stays in garage.
It's the quantity of service not quality.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Yet another great reason to avoid stealerships. Besides they are getting flat rate so their profit is your loss. We just got the warranty engine replaced in daughters Hyundai Elantra. They couldn’t even do that right. From what I heard first it was the wrong engine. Maybe that’s why they managed to punch a hole in the radiators over,flow tank. Gee, then it was done sitting there when she picked it up. Hardly start lights dim gauges acting weird ........ but ready to go. Sure, then they fix that for the next pickup a few days later and she finds the hole in coolant bottle with the assurance drive it all weekend it’s ok . Again no way you can’t even tell how much was in there.
I start digging around and find that they get 8 hrs to change an engine,no more, also that the mechanics don’t get paid for the time to test drive the car. They want to get back on another job or they’re working for free. That sort of explains dverything now doesn’t it! Rush rush rush.

Since when did a Lube/Oil/Filter change and Tire rotation become a Pit-Stop procedure on Race day??

When I do my change, as the oil drips out the pan, I do my underside visual checks of the suspension, underbody, brake pads, ect.....then my topside checks of coolant, brake, Power steering fluids.
That alone takes between 5 and 10 minutes.

Again, like all have said.........a great commercial as to why you should be doing your own changes!

Oil change services for people who want instant gratification.

A local dealership did an oil change on my 2.7 Liter Ecoboost F150. From the time I gave them the keys to when they told me they were done, it was 13 minutes. I politely told them, no I don't think you are.

I asked for a manager and told him we were going to check the dipstick in my truck in 15 minutes. When we checked it, it was way, way overfilled. I mentioned that there is a TSB on this exact issue, and big sticker on the side of the engine stating you have to wait 15 minutes to check the oil level as it takes that long for oil to make its way back to the oil pan in these engines. The service manager stammered a bit and said ok, we'll do it right.

I shouldn't have to ask to have it done right at the dealership for that make and model - that's their job.

Anyways, I have a free oil change now at that location, but in the meantime I take my truck to a different dealer that takes its time to do it right without me asking.

From what I am told the tech has 8 minutes to complete the service, anything more than that and he is working for free.

2 minute drain. On hot oil? Does it need that long?

Not seeing an issue here. Only issue would be, after the hundredth car of the day, it's 3pm and the mind is losing concentration; and "oops" happens.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Oil change services for people who want instant gratification.

A local dealership did an oil change on my 2.7 Liter Ecoboost F150. From the time I gave them the keys to when they told me they were done, it was 13 minutes. I politely told them, no I don't think you are.

I asked for a manager and told him we were going to check the dipstick in my truck in 15 minutes. When we checked it, it was way, way overfilled. I mentioned that there is a TSB on this exact issue, and big sticker on the side of the engine stating you have to wait 15 minutes to check the oil level as it takes that long for oil to make its way back to the oil pan in these engines. The service manager stammered a bit and said ok, we'll do it right.

I shouldn't have to ask to have it done right at the dealership for that make and model - that's their job.

Anyways, I have a free oil change now at that location, but in the meantime I take my truck to a different dealer that takes its time to do it right without me asking.

The 2.3 EB in our Explorer also states to wait 15 minutes to check the oil level. I'm leery of taking the Explorer to have it's oil changed other than by myself. As I doubt any oil change business, even the dealer, can afford to "waste" the time waiting for the oil to properly drain in the EB engines. When I do the oil change myself I pull the dip stick out partially and open the fill cap to help drain the oil into the oil pan. This also helps to drain the oil pan more thoroughly when I open the drain plug.

Whimsey

I jack the side of the car opposite the drain plug to a height of at least three feet and then I stick my leaf blower over the oil filler hole and run the blower at maximum rpm for five minutes.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I jack the side of the car opposite the drain plug to a height of at least three feet and then I stick my leaf blower over the oil filler hole and run the blower at maximum rpm for five minutes.

I think you are pulling our legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back