Take a look at my oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 4runner v6 4.0 175xxx miles
I’ve owned since 84,000, M1 5w-30 synthetic every ~6000 miles.
Doesn’t burn a drop and everything runs fine. MPG is lower than these rigs are supposed to get, most average about 20 highway (non interstate), most I’ve gotten is 18.

Recently, I’ve been noticing some staining on the rag when I check my oil. I can’t say how long this has been happening, as I never gave it much thought. My oil changes usually come out fairly dark (think a nice milk stout). I know color doesn’t mean much upon used oil, but the stain on the rags seems like there’s an oil stain and a darker gets in. Most recent oil change was only 200 miles ago

Any guesses what this is, is it a problem, and what should I do about it? Thanks so much!

lgXAmpo.jpg

I get that black on the rag when i run the rag down the ENTIRE Dipstick
Prolly just dirt/residue on the dipstick that is not in the oil that u wiped off
No big deal
And in my experience M1 is a little darker oil than others ive used (mostly sopus)

It's a 1GR Toyota, so a few things.

1. Mobil 1 is a good choice with these. Stick with it.
2. Stop fussing about oil color. It's meaningless.
3. Get an oil analysis through whichever vendor you'd prefer; no more guessing games.
4. Buy 1 quart jug (Auto Zone) of Chevron Techron Concentrate, and dump it all in. Refill, and run until nearly empty before filling again. This dilution ratio is acceptable for the 23 gallon tank.
5. Run 89, or 91 octane. Makes a big difference on 1GR's, and you'll get the economy back (~1.5mpg)

Originally Posted By: T4RF
.... 175xxx miles....Most recent oil change was only 200 miles ago

I think it's fine.

As a basic thing to do is check the air filter and its seal in the housing and the intake plumbing and any vacuum hoses etc.

Doing what oil is suppose to do, keep the contaminants contained. But, you don't have a lot of spreading out from the spot where you put the oil in the paper towel. I'd say you need to be thinking about changing the oil within the next 500 miles or so.

Nothing out of the ordinary there. If you're concerned get a UOA and post it. At least then you'll be able to get real data of some value vs. opinions which may mean nothing.

Thanks friends. Air filter housing is very tight and new filter. Filter changes have been every 25k. I do all my own maintenance. I think after considering your comments, this is likely dirt in the dipstick tube. I may try pouring some Seafoam down the dip tube at my next oil change with the drain plug pulled to clean it out, hopefully keeping it from working it’s way into the oil in the future, then use a cheap oil to flush the seafoam out. I’ll likely replace the gasket on the dipstick as well.
After that my plan is to run a short OCI of PUP 5w-20 (high calcium vs Mobil 1 just to “flush” the engine) all highway miles (about 2500 mile road trip), drop it, and go back to Mobil 1, switching to 0w-20 for better cold start protection. Many of my miles right now are short trips to/from work.

You guys are great, I’m really enjoying this forum, although all the info I’m learning is making my OCD go crazy!

Originally Posted By: T4RF
I may try pouring some Seafoam down the dip tube at my next oil change with the drain plug pulled to clean it out, hopefully keeping it from working it’s way into the oil in the future, then use a cheap oil to flush the seafoam out. I’ll likely replace the gasket on the dipstick as well.
After that my plan is to run a short OCI of PUP 5w-20 (high calcium vs Mobil 1 just to “flush” the engine) all highway miles (about 2500 mile road trip), drop it, and go back to Mobil 1, switching to 0w-20 for better cold start protection. Many of my miles right now are short trips to/from work.

If you're concerned about it then the most I would do is dump a quart of MMO in the engine for the last 100 miles before the next oil change. Change it out at the 5k mark. If you want sooner than that you can drop it down to the 4k mark.

What oil filter are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back