S&W M&P Shield .380 EZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
to o.p.: thanks for this link! it is past time for gun makers and ammo makers to address the unmet needs of seniors, ladies and anyone else needing easier handling/shooting handguns. 380acp, as well as 32acp (and even 32s&w long), deserve more mainstream platforms. a ruger lcp or s&w bodyguard in 32acp would be a softer, still credible ccw for recoil averse persons.

The macho shooter crowd will laugh at this but it looks to be thoughtfully designed. It makes sense that they were able to reuse the M&P22 frame and slide since a blowback 380 is a simple mechanism.

IMO, people not very familiar with guns should go for a revolver (especially if it's just used at home) because they are a no-brainier to operate.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
IMO, people not very familiar with guns should go for a revolver (especially if it's just used at home) because they are a no-brainier to operate.

That's not necessarily bad advice.
However, the issue here is not unfamiliarity with firearms,but physical issues. One big problem with a DA revolver is the trigger pull in DA for someone with limited grip strength.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16

However, the issue here is not unfamiliarity with firearms,but physical issues. One big problem with a DA revolver is the trigger pull in DA for someone with limited grip strength.

This. Although some revolvers like the Ruger LCR and Colt Cobra have exceptionally light DA pulls for a wheelgun. Around 7lbs which is not much more than the usual 5 to 6 lb triggers on many semi autos.

Originally Posted By: jstert
to o.p.: thanks for this link! it is past time for gun makers and ammo makers to address the unmet needs of seniors, ladies and anyone else needing easier handling/shooting handguns. 380acp, as well as 32acp (and even 32s&w long), deserve more mainstream platforms. a ruger lcp or s&w bodyguard in 32acp would be a softer, still credible ccw for recoil averse persons.

Oh believe me there’s nothing soft or nice about shooting 380 out of a tiny gun like a LCP. I liken it to a 1911 and I would expect this little guy to bite just as hard. A box or less is plenty for the day. My only gripe is the bullet price :e sheer beauty of these little guys is that they fit right in your pocket in a flimsy pocket holster so well. Mine is the exact same weight and size as a smart phone.

Why the need for a grip safety? That is a departure from the "typical" M&P design and the other 2.0 pistols do not need it in order to be "safe". I sold an XD Mod 2 because it did not fit my hand so the engagement of the grip safety was sporadic and therefore not reliable. I like the MP 2.0 pistols and will probably grab a compact and full size at some point, but this one not so much.

Originally Posted By: jstert

It looks huge though. Who needs a huge 380 when you can get this Buffalo Bore Barnes (middle) from a simple to use 2 inch 38 with 15 inches of penetration expanding to about .70 Cal. 110G light recoil. Two 380's below. The sig @ 15 and the Winchester defend at .63 (but only 8 inches penetration. 2 layers denim.
EB0965ED-AC4D-4230-BCCA-07B693D6A7A4.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

This. Although some revolvers like the Ruger LCR and Colt Cobra have exceptionally light DA pulls for a wheelgun. Around 7lbs which is not much more than the usual 5 to 6 lb triggers on many semi autos.

The draw of the LCR is that the pull is smooth, not light. LCR's are usually coming in at 10-12. The one we have (LCRX 3")is probably 11-12.
That trigger is what led me to look at other handguns for my wife. I like the LCRX a lot, and shoot it well. It is somewhat of a struggle for my wife.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Why the need for a grip safety? That is a departure from the "typical" M&P design and the other 2.0 pistols do not need it in order to be "safe". I sold an XD Mod 2 because it did not fit my hand so the engagement of the grip safety was sporadic and therefore not reliable. I like the MP 2.0 pistols and will probably grab a compact and full size at some point, but this one not so much.

This ^^^^^^^^^^

I think today grip safeties are mostly the result of boardroom decision making and "lawyer proofing". Than they are of any practical use. Just something else that can go wrong, and or effect reliability. Legality aside, I put this into much the same type of decision making as adding a hammer to the Springfield XD. Simply a way to generate more sales to people who feel they can't live without a pistol that has either.

The draw of the LCR is that the pull is smooth, not light. LCR's are usually coming in at 10-12. The one we have (LCRX 3")is probably 11-12.
That trigger is what led me to look at other handguns for my wife. I like the LCRX a lot, and shoot it well. It is somewhat of a struggle for my wife.

You can cock the 38 revolver and turn it into a single action. The one time I really though someone was in my home I did before leaving my bedroom. My son did the same on a later date.

I think some people here are missing the point. If you don't have a physical issue, then this pistol was not made for you, although you could shoot it also. Don't assume just because you don't have an issue, that whatever is good for you is good for everyone. I made that mistake with my wife. In the end, if someone is not comfortable with a handgun, they are less likely to practice with/carry it(if at all). This is not a "simple to use" issue, it is a "physical strength/comfort" issue. And I know someone is going to say that their 105 year old great grandmother, who weighs 75 lbs., with crippling rheumatoid arthritis, carries two Grizzly Win Mags, and can rack the slides on both one handed. And that anyone can learn to rack a slide on a pistol. And, that is a matter of technique, not strength. Well, guess what? There are tons of people out here that don't carry because of slides, and trigger pulls, and recoil, muzzle blast, and other things. If a pistol is available to alleviate some of those things, I am all for it. I can (and do)shoot heavy recoiling handguns for hundreds of rounds in a session, and it doesn't even register with me. That doesn't apply to everyone else, though.

Last edited:
Grip Safety, regular safety, big and heavy (for a .380)..al non starters for me personally compared to the G42. However it holds 2 more rounds and is probably easier to rack (lets hope so!!)

Folks that need a gun like this would be better served with an airweight with weaker trigger springs. I have shot one and the trigger is easy-peasy.

Originally Posted By: Al
Grip Safety, regular safety, big and heavy (for a .380)..al non starters for me personally compared to the G42. However it holds 2 more rounds and is probably easier to rack (lets hope so!!)

Folks that need a gun like this would be better served with an airweight with weaker trigger springs. I have shot one and the trigger is easy-peasy.

I agree. 18.5 oz vs 14.4 oz for the airweight. Too big to go out and not enough caliber for the home vs other options. And revolvers don't jam with a limp wrist.

The Rugers have inconsistent pull weights from gun to gun. Some are way higher and some low. The Colts are much more consistent. Although for the money they should be.

Originally Posted By: clarkflower

You can cock the 38 revolver and turn it into a single action. The one time I really though someone was in my home I did before leaving my bedroom. My son did the same on a later date.

The problem with that is if you have compromised hand strength or dexterity issues...how are you safely going to decock the gun? And actually my dad who has weaker hands cannot easily cock his J frame 638,so we just had a trigger job done on it so he can shoot DA much easier. Polishing surfaces and putting a lighter trigger rebound spring did wonders for a gun that has a notoriously nasty factory trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back