For you 80's Ford fans!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
lol.gif

kjmnDlV.jpg

That's a survivor right there. Still see some of 'em in the NE.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
What a sad time for Ford.

How so? It was a massive sales success:

Quote:
The Ford Tempo was a massive sales success for Ford. It was one of the top ten best selling cars in the US, usually in the top five, during its entire production. In 1984, Ford sold a total of 531,468 examples of the Tempo and Topaz, nearly 100,000 more units than the best-selling Toyota Camry of today. Below is a list of annual model year production figures for the Tempo.

1984: 402,214
1985: 339,087
1986: 277,671
1987: 282,632
1988: 313,262
1989: 240,904
1990: 218,426
1991: 185,845
1992: 207,340
1993: 154,762
1994: 110,399
Total: 2,732,542

In typical Ford fashion they came on strong and let it whither on the vine. About the only car they have not let that happen to is the Mustang.

Last edited:
My mother had one in the 80's she let me borrow it all the time and let's just say I spent more time in the back seat of that car then the front seat!

A buddy of mine's mom used to have a GLS 2 door version. 5 speed, maybe a 16v 4 or v6, black over grey two tone. Kind of sporty for a tempo.

Both of those vehicles were far better (reliability-wise) than their successors (Windstar, Contour)
Cheap to buy, own and maintain. Also very reliable.
coffee2.gif

Tempo, Aerostar, Windstar, and Contour were all JUNK. Taurus of that gen was solid...at least with the 3.0l. The optional 3.8l was the worst engine ever put in an American vehicle imho.

The Ranger was DooDoo but the 150, 250, and 350 were solid and the Mustang was best in class.

You win some you loose some...lets not pretend the K car or the Beretta were any better.

Two things from that era I remember well...1)Chrysler built junk as always 2)I've never seen a car that could rust out floor boards as fast as a Tempo. Literally 3 years and rotten. 3) couldn't resist...the Aerostar was a total PITA to get on a hoist...[censored] near impossible with running boards.

The chevy lumina was equally as ugly but they were solid imho

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul

You win some you loose some...lets not pretend the K car or the Beretta were any better.

TBI K-cars were pretty solid, as were Corsica/Beretta. I remember Tempos being okay but they liked to eat motor mounts, tie rod ends and ball joints. In the early 90's you could buy a brand new Tempo with auto and AC for under $10k, a smoking deal for the size of car you got. In GM or Chrysler money that bought a Cavalier or Sundance/Shadow.

We had an '84 Mercury Topaz (same thing)

Nice car, but the 2.3 HSC is the worst engine Ford ever designed, period.

It's the only engine we have ever had blow up in a car in our family, ever.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Taurus of that gen was solid...at least with the 3.0l. The optional 3.8l was the worst engine ever put in an American vehicle imho.

We had an '85 Ford LTD wagon with a 3.8

Solid, reliable engine - good power, & mileage, too. (RWD, tho..) AOD trans

We put 187,000 miles on that car.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Nice car, but the 2.3 HSC is the worst engine Ford ever designed, period.

I had the 2.3 in a 1983 LTD. It didn't blow, per se, but it could fog the city for mosquitos. Actually, it was better at highway fogging, using a litre every 300 miles that way.

the Falcon was transformed in terms of ride and handling.

Wow...I didn't notice, I obviously haven't got a clue about ride and handling.

Never thought I would say this...but cool!

Have to say I do miss them now after growing up around them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back