Tesla Roadster actually Launched to Mars.. No kidd

I guess we file this one in the What-You-Do-With-A-Billion$$ when you're subsidized by the U.S. taxpayers for a lot of it:

48F071A300000578-5356825-image-a-48_1517952124879.jpg

For real, a Tesla Roadster is on its way to Mars orbit.
I know they really aren't "allowed" to hit Mars with it since I'll bet they couldn't scrub it of Earth microbes like NASA's probes are.

About the Roadster's orbit: Its going into an oscillatory hybrid orbit of Mars and Earth, going in an out of the gravity well of each planet.
In the next few months, cameras from the car will show us Mars (5 to 7 months from now). And then it will swing back to Earth again.

Tesla Roadster doing a flyby of Mars in the later part of this animation video.
I think its actually closer to Mars in the fantasy video than what the real car will do, due to the hybrid gravity well orbit.

Last edited:
What do you think an Alien manned spacecraft will think of this?
I think they will realize that our planet is a bit nuts and keep going.
Or they will ramp up the invasion force?

Originally Posted By: AndyinAL
LOL - sad how most people believe this CGI fraud. #FakeX

Did you just watch the movie "Capricorn One"? Thought so.

The middle booster of SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy rocket failed to land on its drone ship. It destroyed a couple of engines on the drone sea ship landing zone!

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
They didn't play Rocket Man due to copyright...
Maybe not the song, but the inflight movie was:
p19994_d_v8_aa.jpg

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
They didn't play Rocket Man due to copyright...

the plan was never for Rocket Man.
it was supposed to be Bowie's Space Oddity playing over the car's stereo.

Musk also had them put "DON'T PANIC" on the car's central display.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AndyinAL
LOL - sad how most people believe this CGI fraud. #FakeX

Live video of AndyinAL's "fake" Tesla in space:

The NY Times Article I read stated that it was going to be placed on an elliptical orbit of the sun for one hundred million years. Not Mars, but it depends if the final stage works properly. I believe there is a six hour delay from lunch until the 3rd stage......Major Tom!

Space is commercialized. I know google has satellites, but nothing that's left earth's orbit, that I know of. This is a monumental achievement for a recyclable rocket boosters. Now we don't need Uncle Putin's rockets. The Russians build awesome helicopters and rockets. The USA didn't get all the Nazi Rocket Scientists (Paper Clip).

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: Pajero
The articles I read stated that it was going on elliptical orbit of the sun. Not Mars, but it depends if the final stage works properly. I believe there is a six hour delay from lunch until the 3rd stage......Major Tom!

You're right. I think the close passes (intentional) to Earth and Mars will cause the path to get curvaceous near the masses, yet its really a Sun orbit.
Much of the test this is centers around how accurately they can place the Tesla in the orbit. The speed and direction need to be precise to do it right.
Note there are no TCMs (trajectory control maneuver) rockets on the Tesla to correct it.
We always did TCM blasts to precisely hit Mars when I worked on probes years back.

I wonder if Musk couldn't have put something of more scientific use up there? I'd assume NASA or the ESA could whip up a cheap heavy tech 3000+lb telescope to take pictures or something as it traveled around.
Anyways, its good that whole thing worked pretty well. Little steps like this are necessary to get us into a spacefaring species.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I wonder if Musk couldn't have put something of more scientific use up there? I'd assume NASA or the ESA could whip up a cheap heavy tech 3000+lb telescope to take pictures or something as it traveled around.
Anyways, its good that whole thing worked pretty well. Little steps like this are necessary to get us into a spacefaring species.

Spacefaring Corporations! We have devasted this planet's eco system in addition to all the Wars we play chess in. We kill each other every day. We should not be allowed to populate the heavens and bring our destructive attributes of aggression. There is nothing that we can make that will last a million years. That Tesla will be in space for a 100 million years. Long after were gone, one way or another. And that is man's achievement? An electric Tesla? We really should think about what we put into space. I hope there is a time capsule in there and they sanitized the Tesla for bacteria, etc etc. I do admire Nikola Tesla.

Elon Musk is narcissistic. What about a robot (Advance AI) that speaks all languages embedded with our history. Don't get me wrong, Musk has made great achievements! But this isn't for humanity. It's for his corporation and investors. If a Corporation gets to Mars or Moon, they will mine it. There is a lot of money in mining planets for meteorites and other value chemicals. Sorry, I will end the rant....But maybe the Corporations will advance us, technologically? The govt gives contracts to the lowest bidder.....

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Thats an excellent idea. Universities could have put some Van Allen belt sensors on the Tesla, as well as more cameras at least with a telescope like you say. I assume there are solar panels so we can get pictures back from this thing forever.

I think it's Awesome. It's Elon Musk all the way. Ever watch that guy, he is having fun.
Too many serious people.
I am glad to see he is having fun with all this.
Why not?? Lighten up.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I think it's Awesome. It's Elon Musk all the way. Ever watch that guy, he is having fun.
Too many serious people.
I am glad to see he is having fun with all this.
Why not?? Lighten up.

Good point!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Understood ~ I have mixed emotions about him/this … but struggling to suffer fools who subscribe to not mixing business/pleasure … it happens all over the globe large/small …(and beyond) …

Back