MPG gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put a bottle of Techron complete fuel system cleaner into the Sentra that has 186K miles on it.
Before the treatment the info center said I was averaging 35.4 MPG.
After I ran the treated tank out and refilled I reset the info center.
Now after several fill ups and no change in driving habits it says 37.1 MPG.
I'm really surprised by this.

Never thought of that.
But this car has never done 37.1 MPG in the 90K miles that I've had it.

HARD MILEAGE CALCULATION:
Fill your tank on the first of the month. Note the miles. Note the volume in gallons. I add a column for the price paid too.
Drive and fill as needed through the month recording every fuel purchase.
On the last day of the month fill your tank. Note the details as usual.

Subtract the starting miles from the finishing miles. That's your TOTAL MILES FOR THE MONTH.
Add up the gallons except for the first fill up. That first fill up gets you to a "zero". That's your TOTAL GALLONS FOR THE MONTH.
Divide the TOTAL MILES by the TOTAL GALLONS and you get irrefutable mileage.

The gallons from the last fill up of the month brings you to the next month's zero.

You can do this weekly too, if you want.

It really is the ONLY way to do it. (Flame suit on)

Originally Posted By: Kira
Fill your tank on the first of the month. Note the miles. Note the volume in gallons. I add a column for the price paid too.

Subtract the starting miles from the finishing miles. That's your TOTAL MILES FOR THE MONTH.
Add up the gallons except for the first fill up. That first fill up gets you to a "zero". That's your TOTAL GALLONS FOR THE MONTH.

The gallons from the last fill up of the month brings you to the next month's zero.

Or just use an app. Fuelio does that and a whole lot more.

I'm not surprised. I've had excellent results on a short tripped non top tier filled vehicle at much lower mileage than your 186k.

In your case, I would put in another bottle. At 186k there is probably more to clean.

In fact, I would suggest using something stronger through the air intake eg the 3M kit or head to Walmart for their $20 fuel injector service (where they meter the cleaning solution through the air to clean the combustion chamber and add a (weaker) fuel injector cleaner to your tank to clean the injectors).

I had a bottle of Valvoline SynPower fuel injector cleaner make a similar difference about 12-13 years ago.

It's gone, but Techron is supposed to be better anyway.

The computer measures mpg by measuring the frequency of the fuel injectors. If one or more injectors was partially plugged, the frequency will increase to compensate and the computer will incorrectly indicate poor gas mileage. Cleaning the injector will help unplug it and the frequency will now be lower, indicating better mileage. Of course you could manually keep records of mileage and fuel used to check your gas mileage. If you did this and confirmed the gas mileage before and after the treatment then I guess you improved the atomization and that’s why you’re getting a better burn, hence better mileage.

Last edited:
It's certainly possible, but it's so hard to measure, especially with all the variables. PandaBear mentioned the weather. Our temperatures, and my mileage, went down the toilet recently.

I just checked my Legacy's average MPG - it's been warmer, but my average is 3 MPG LESS! What gives!?

The answer, in Borat's voice: "My wife". Seriously, my wife is the reason. She's a conservative driver, but she can't coast to save her life. She's been driving my car, because the Legacy gets better gas mileage than the Forester XT, and the mileage has dropped from just over 30 MPG to just over 27 MPG. I drove it to go to the Dr two days ago and I was able to raise it 0.5 MPG in just a short trip!

My point: every day the MPG varies. From cold to warm to slushy to dry.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
You've averaged this increased MPG over the past few fillups or just this one?

Its been pegged on 37.1 for several weeks after the treatment.
I use a tank a week ,about 10 gallons per fill up.
I never go lower then a 1/4 tank.
I also us Phillips 66 top tier gas all the time from a very high volume station.
Warm weather or cold weather its never done this well in close to 100K I've had the car.
I will try another bottle just to be sure.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Thanks for the suggestion but thats way more work then i want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back