Very cool Rahal 2018 IndyCar with TOTAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to Rahal/Letterman for bringing a major new sponsor to IndyCar and their gorgeous livery on the new car. Indy is going to be very interesting...are we going to see TOTAL motor oil in US?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
...are we going to see TOTAL motor oil in US?

My guess is YES. Why else would they pay millions in sponsorship dollars to advertise a product in this country, that is currently unobtainable?

Total Motor oil is available at Amazon-

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Total+Motor+oil

Its been available at Ultramar gas stations up here for a few years, and it seems Ultramar is also distributing it. My tractor dealer picked up Total oils as well a couple years ago now. I haven't used it but he had the 15W40 priced better than the regular prices of rotella here.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
Total Motor oil is available at Amazon-
Its not priced that badly either. Although, I can't think of a reason its better than Pennzoil GTL GroupIII+ synthetics, Quaker State full syn, Mobil1 (PAO+GroupIII), Castrol Edge/Magnatec, or Valvoline (3 varieties of full-syn) which are much cheaper and even available at Walmart as well as Amazon.
Anybody have a reason to use Total 'Lubrifiants'? (French word)
You could say its a small way to support the French economy since they are up against some animal terrorists way too much. There is that.

When I had my Optima it was what the dealer carried and used. Total Quartz was the one they offered. It was comparable in price to the other options they had. Actually it was "cheaper" than if you asked for Mobil 1. I never used it, but they had it and that was a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: geekster
When I had my Optima it was what the dealer carried and used. Total Quartz was the one they offered.
Interesting. Oklahoma? I would have guessed Total would be the last choice in the U.S. Dealers surely could get bulk no-name brands, or maybe get Pennzoil for bragging rights, for less $$ coin.
ServicePro, Warren Performance Products oils, all the lower-tier brands that still have adequate specs would seem to work at a dealership. Kia only requires SN oil for pete's sake.

Congrats to Rahal/Letterman for bringing a major new sponsor to IndyCar and their gorgeous livery on the new car. Indy is going to be very interesting...are we going to see TOTAL motor oil in US?

It is a nice livery, but I have to give them a bit of a hard time for "sort of" being drummed out of F1.
wink.gif
I believe there is a Canadian office, too.

Originally Posted By: Mitch Alsup
So, Indy Cars are finally getting rid of the Delta-wing concept ?!?

No, D-Wing never made it in IndyCar. The concept was rejected years ago and they went to Lemans where they created an experimental category for it. Is it still racing somewhere?

Keep in mind that Hulman Corp. has decided that one of their key marketing approaches requires new speed records at IMS. That’s an average lap speed of 238mph. That requires a lot of HP and a lot of downforce, ie, not a D-wing. We just hope no one gets killed fulfilling the Hulmans’ fantasies.

Last edited:
.....Keep in mind that Hulman Corp. has decided that one of their key marketing approaches requires new speed records at IMS. That’s an average lap speed of 238mph.

Good God that's fast! I hope we don't end up with another Gordon Smiley incident.

I saw Luyendyk do a 237+ in practice from a turn 2 suite balcony in 1996. I was holding my breath even if he wasn’t. To do that lap, he had to do the corners as fast as the straights. The driver has to be perfect, the car has to be perfect, the tires have to be perfect, the weather has to be perfect, well, you get the idea.

But in ‘96, a pole contender only had to do it once for four laps. With the goofy new system, each contender may have to go balls-out 3-4 times which of course dramatically increases to odds of something going wrong with all the perfect parameters cited above. No amount of safety parameters will save a driver from a 100G+ deceleration that gets suffered when it goes wrong at that speed. I fear for the boys this year. Throw our favorite gal in there in a one-off ride trying to prove a point and it could be a disasterous outcome.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mitch Alsup
So, Indy Cars are finally getting rid of the Delta-wing concept ?!?

No, D-Wing never made it in IndyCar.

I am talking about the closed rear wheeled cars that ran at Indy for the last 5 years.

I saw Luyendyk do a 237+ in practice from a turn 2 suite balcony in 1996. I was holding my breath even if he wasn’t. To do that lap, he had to do the corners as fast as the straights. The driver has to be perfect, the car has to be perfect, the tires have to be perfect, the weather has to be perfect, well, you get the idea.

But in ‘96, a pole contender only had to do it once for four laps. With the goofy new system, each contender may have to go balls-out 3-4 times which of course dramatically increases to odds of something going wrong with all the perfect parameters cited above. No amount of safety parameters will save a driver from a 100G+ deceleration that gets suffered when it goes wrong at that speed. I fear for the boys this year. Throw our favorite gal in there in a one-off ride trying to prove a point and it could be a disasterous outcome.

They have been planning for years to get IndyCars up to lap speeds of 240 at Indy. Put enough downforce on the car to nail it to the track, and it will be safe to drive. Then all you need is Horsepower. At Indy there are long straights between the turns, so the drivers have a few seconds to recover from the high lateral G's. It's not like at Texas where the drivers were graying out due to high vertical G's on almost a continuous basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back