5w20 or 10w30 & 5w30 or 5w40 no perceivable diff

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
We often read how much better someone's vehicle idles, sounds or feels depending on the oil viscosity used. Never having paid attention to it before, i couldn't make any distinction as an afterthought. This time around i thought i would go into these oil changes with that at the forefront. Well, i still can't tell a difference. Might it be my location.

Am i sensory deprived or are you guys just 'hyper-sensitive'?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: tempnexus
Have you tried vegetable oil?

Haha... i see the new thread started on that topic as well.

The mind plays tricks on the hearing, if you want to hear a difference you will. I use my wife as a test subject, I don't tell he anything I do to her car, it would be a very rare occasion that she noticed anything.
She does notice engine noises but never after an oil change.

Im sensitive to my cars engine..
It may be less noticed on newer,lower mileage vehicles.. i for one have definitely noticed the differences.

Originally Posted By: oilburner99
Im sensitive to my cars engine..
It may be less noticed on newer,lower mileage vehicles.. i for one have definitely noticed the differences.

This might be an important distinction.

Wemay you carry the diagnosis of CHS... Can't Hear Stuff= or the other word
smile.gif

You may also carry another diagnosis of CFS.... Can't Feel Stuff....
smile.gif

I do think age, mileage and motor matters a whole lot here. Newer cars and trucks it will be different than a vehicle made 15-20 years ago. On my lady's Camry there can be rather noticeable difference between oils run in it. Motorcraft and Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic run way quieter than others I have run in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Wemay you carry the diagnosis of CHS... Can't Hear Stuff= or the other word
smile.gif

You may also carry another diagnosis of CFS.... Can't Feel Stuff....
smile.gif

You get no argument here, my friend.
smile.gif

Hearing any difference in engine sounds based on type or viscosity of oil is kind of hard with these new high pressure fuel injectors. Back when conventional oils were used more, I was attuned to things. I didn’t really focus on the sound or smoothness of the engine. I observed oil color and fuel mileage. Lightest color to darkest color I used were Valvoline, Texaco Havoline, Pennzoil and Castrol. Of all the oils I listed, Valvoline gave me the best fuel economy. Now that was running the same viscosity oil in the same vehicle. This held true through 3 different vehicles, a ‘91 Ford Ranger 3.0, an ‘01 Dodge Dakota 4.7, an ‘03 Dodge Ram 4.7. The fuel spike after Katrina put an end to the gas hogs for me. Remembering these things, I have some Valvoline 5W30 Synpower waiting to go in my Escape.

Last edited:
Impressive is an understatement. The thing is a rocket ship. It took some getting used to. The 2.4 KIA ain’t too shabby.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
We often read how much better someone's vehicle idles, sounds or feels depending on the oil viscosity used. Never having paid attention to it before, i couldn't make any distinction as an afterthought. This time around i thought i would go into these oil changes with that at the forefront. Well, i still can't tell a difference. Might it be my location.

Am i sensory deprived or are you guys just 'hyper-sensitive'?
wink.gif

Oil is oil.

Going to a more viscous fluid will dampen sound waves. The thicker the fluid, the slower sound travels through it. However, I'm guessing you'd have to run a 50w oil in something that normally runs a 20w to even begin to hear a difference in perceived engine noise.

my truck doesn't seem to mind what oil is used in it 5w30,40 10w30,40 .
my little car it is noticeable on a cold morning it has more valve train noise on a 20 degree morning with 10w30 in it so i use 5w40. not a rocket ship but can hold it's own on interstate.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Some people's butt dynos are so sensitive, they can tell when a fly on their bumper is slowing them down.

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

If you were in the northern U.S. right now, you'd probably note different sounds in the colder temps we're getting-Miami?. . .not so much. With the SFS 2.0T, I have noticed that the seasonal start-up noise is non-existent with the Magnatec I'm currently running, as compared to other oils I've used. I may send in a sample of this Magnatec for analysis.

Originally Posted By: Robster
If you were in the northern U.S. right now, you'd probably note different sounds in the colder temps we're getting-Miami?. . .not so much. With the SFS 2.0T, I have noticed that the seasonal start-up noise is non-existent with the Magnatec I'm currently running, as compared to other oils I've used. I may send in a sample of this Magnatec for analysis.

I'm sure this is true. I think the mild climate here plays a larger role than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back