Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 Approved List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to stock up more this year (during sales) for more 5w-40 for 6.7. Ford list shows Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 and Shell Rotella 5w-40, which doesn't say CK4 or CJ4. Looked up Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 CK4 and it does have Ford's WSS-M2C171-F1. However, Shell Rotella 5w-40 spec sheet shows Ford's Ford WSS-M2C171-E spec, but not Ford WSS-M2C171-F1. Thought Shell was going to meet Ford WSS-M2C171-F1? What are you guys using in 6.7 for 5w-40? Still have 2 more changes with Delvac 5w-40 CJ4.

Originally Posted by mbacfp
However, Shell Rotella 5w-40 spec sheet shows Ford's Ford WSS-M2C171-E spec, but not Ford WSS-M2C171-F1. Thought Shell was going to meet Ford WSS-M2C171-F1? What are you guys using in 6.7 for 5w-40?
Though Rotella T6 is on the Ford approved list, I have never found a bottle with the new Ford specification, nor have I found it on any Shell PDS. I am using Delo 5W-40; still plenty of it in the wild in my area.

Thanks. No CJ4 in my area anymore (Walmart). Guess will stick with Valvoline 5w40 or Mobil Turbo Diesel 5w-40 at cheapest price point. Take care all.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Thanks. No CJ4 in my area anymore (Walmart). Guess will stick with Valvoline 5w40 or Mobil Turbo Diesel 5w-40 at cheapest price point. Take care all.

there are a LOT of cheaper options than those ...

Here's Ford's official list:
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/additionalinfo/dieseloilsWSSM2C171F1.pdf

There are plenty of dino options on there; no one "needs" to buy a syn. If you "want" to, that's fine. But don't think for a second that you "must" buy some expensive lube to be compliant with the Ford spec.

There are plenty of CK-4 approved lubes on that list. Many of which have "CK-4" right in their product name.

ALL CJ-4 lubes meet Ford's intent.
Some CK-4 lubes meet Ford's requirements, if they have phos >1000ppm.

I'm sure, for one, that good ol' Rotella R4 is cheaper than M1TDT and others. There are approved house brands on there, too.

Thanks dnewton. Good point. I am still on the 5w-40 train as I have been getting it so cheaply. Looks like my NAPA Delvac 5w-40 sale at $19.99 with $12 Delvac rebate is no more (since CK4 changes). Would like to stay with 5w-40 if possible, but understand dino 15w-40 or 10w-30 is more than adequate for my usage. Thanks to all again.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
there are a LOT of cheaper options than those ...There are plenty of dino options on there; no one "needs" to buy a syn. If you "want" to, that's fine. But don't think for a second that you "must" buy some expensive lube to be compliant with the Ford spec.
Depends on what you are doing with the truck and if you like your warranty. If you have no warranty, I agree, but if you are in the severe service category as defined by Ford and do not want to worry about your warranty, then I would be running a 5W-40 synthetic.

We've been over this hundreds of times it seems ...

What is required for compliance with Ford's warranty coverage is a lube that meets their spec; the Ford spec for lubricants (currently the F1).
What is "recommended" for a service factor is NOT the deciding factor regarding warranty, despite all the shenanigans to the contrary.
For anything that meets the Ford spec (dino or syn or semi), the burden of proof for any warranty claim denial would be upon Ford.

If Ford had a different spec for different grades, unique to each grade, and then required those via the service factor severity, I would agree with you. But they don't; the official spec (F1 level) does not delineate grades; they are all approved under one license spec. Hence, any lube meeting Ford's spec will assure warranty coverage.

If you used a licensed F1 spec'd 10w-30 and had an engine issue during "severe" use, the burden of a warranty denial would be upon Ford to show why your use of a licensed product was unacceptable to an arbiter, and then explain why the licensed product was not delineated by grade. Grade recommendations are only that; they are suggestions. Suggestions are not "licensed", and therefore not enforceable in court or arbitration.

Using this direct link:
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/product.asp?product=Diesel Motor Oils Meeting Ford WSS-M2C171-F1&category=Motor Oil
Note that the previous link I had, to the F1 list, was dated 11-27-17, and that is the same one using this parent link to their site.
To the best of my knowledge, the F1 current release is dated 11-27-17 as of today (2-8-18).

Side note:
In fact, unless Ford officially mailed you a formal statement, specific to your VIN as the current registered owner (it must be printed on the letter by name and VIN), your only obligation for your 2015 PSD for Warranty coverage would be to use a lube that met the "former" (E) rated spec level. Ford cannot legally require you to use an "updated" spec lube AFTER the sale, unless they send you a letter specifically changing the official warranty requirement, which is based upon the printed materials at the time of publication at sale, and get your agreement. If you're ever received a "recall" notice, you'll always see that both the registered owner's name, and VIN, are on those letters. For them to change a warranty requirement AFTER the time of sale, they would have to legally advise you of such, to your specific address and by specific VIN, and then actually offer you a choice of accepting the "new" warranty conditions, or allowing for a refund (prorated). Any time they would "extend" or "improve" a warranty after sale, your consent is not required. But if they alter or limit the warranty in a more restrictive manner, they must get your consent or offer an out (at prorated level). Multiple consumer case-law decisions have found this is the case. Just because you are aware of the F1 changes, you are not obligated to follow them, unless you were notified formally and subsequently agreed to them.

Because the "E" spec level is essentially akin to CJ-4, it's not a big deal to you. Or, using a lube meeting the F1 spec would be OK too. But the grade has NOTHING to do with the license spec of the former E level or current F1 level and would be a moot topic in court or arbitration.

Last edited:
Curiously enough, the Ford Truck Service center that did my upper oil pan repair carried no 5w-40 or 15w-40. All they use is 10w-30 as I requested 5w-40 replacement oil after warranty repair. Surprised Ford's severe recommendations are not followed by a shop most likely to service vehicles in that category.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
We've been over this hundreds of times it seems [...]
Agreed; but unless one is prepared to "fight with Ford" the cost difference between non-synthetic and synthetic (particularly with the sales that happen) is frankly a mere pittance compared to the cost of loss of the use of the vehicle while arbitration takes place or losing the arbitration. Ford WILL ALWAYS BE in a better position than the purchaser to hold out over a dispute and while the burden of proof may be on them--the purchaser WILL SUFFER through the process. I would rather not go there so I will continue to use 5W-40.

I am (trying) to err on the side of caution with what I thought were "serious" Ford service recommendations. Whatever I can do (at a reasonable cost) to hedge any warranty issues and increase longevity on my vehicle was my main goal. Seeing Ford Truck centers (who work and warranty trucks with massive idling, towing, etc.) use 10w-30 makes me wonder if it really matters. UOAs show it doesn't also, so I guess it has now become an emotional feel good reason why I am using 5w-40.

Ultimately, if in your mind. the Ford warranty is the most important thing while owning the truck during the warranty period, have Ford service it...

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
Ultimately, if in your mind. the Ford warranty is the most important thing while owning the truck during the warranty period, have Ford service it...
Good thoughts but (for me) it is just as easy to use 5W-40, maintain it myself, and keep the records. Considering the cost of repairs on any modern diesel, unless one has no concerns about money, the warranty should be at the forefront of an owner's thoughts.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Good thoughts but (for me) it is just as easy to use 5W-40, maintain it myself, and keep the records. Considering the cost of repairs on any modern diesel, unless one has no concerns about money, the warranty should be at the forefront of an owner's thoughts.

It really depends on which year and brand. My LBZ Duramax was out-of-warranty (5yr/100k miles) 6 months after it's purchase but the LBZ was and still is, the best Duramax engine platform. What about all the CP4 failures that Ford originally said was caused by bad fuel? The 6.4 owners paid out of pocket to repair the fuel systems when later it was determined the pump design was flawed. The Duramax CP4 has the same issue but now GM replaces the complete fuel system, injectors included. My friends 2015 LML grenaded it's CP4 last month and fortunately, it was only "dealer serviced" so GM paid the $9k to repair...

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
It really depends on which year and brand. My LBZ Duramax was out-of-warranty (5yr/100k miles) 6 months after it's purchase but the LBZ was and still is, the best Duramax engine platform. What about all the CP4 failures that Ford originally said was caused by bad fuel? The 6.4 owners paid out of pocket to repair the fuel systems when later it was determined the pump design was flawed. The Duramax CP4 has the same issue but now GM replaces the complete fuel system, injectors included. My friends 2015 LML grenaded it's CP4 last month and fortunately, it was only "dealer serviced" so GM paid the $9k to repair...
True, but in this case we are talking about the Ford 6.7L Powerstroke. I am in quite a few forums and from what I see (and using my grain of salt glasses) Ford will deny warranty repairs fairly easily. The CP4 issues are caused by water in the fuel which can be attributed to a myriad of reasons, not the least of which is poor maintenance, but there are plenty who have had failures that maintained the fuel system like clockwork and were still denied by Ford.

For me, I simply choose to find synthetic oil on sale and buy in bulk versus buying conventional and be faced with a warranty issue. Yes, of course, the argument can be made against my choice in 50 ways, but all it takes is a single issue (such as a broken crank, spun bearing, or the like) and have Ford initially state that it **may** have been caused by oil and the owner of that vehicle will have wished he/she used the severe service recommendation.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Curiously enough, the Ford Truck Service center that did my upper oil pan repair carried no 5w-40 or 15w-40. All they use is 10w-30 as I requested 5w-40 replacement oil after warranty repair. Surprised Ford's severe recommendations are not followed by a shop most likely to service vehicles in that category.

Agreed. To make matters worse, the previous list, the E one, listed viscosities for approved oils that don't even show up in Ford's manuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back