How to tell on a non dipstick system if oil is ove

Status
Not open for further replies.
How to tell in a non dipstick system if the oil is overfilled? Volvo XC60, yes the electronic line thingy doesn't show max (red zone) but that measurement system consists of 4 bars (even though it looks like a line) so it takes a lot of loss to loose a bar or gain a bar. Thus, is there any other method of finding out if the system is overfilled or not?

3 ways.

1. It will tell you (it will)
2. Only pour in the spec capacity (6qt for our cars)
3. Trust your mechanic. (can you?)

Sounds like its time to experiment with draining and filling different amounts and check the reading. It's difficult to imagine any other way with any confidence.

If it's anything like our Q5, you will get a warning message if the sensor thinks engine is ovefilled.

Does this Volvo engine at least have a dipstick tube? Can you buy a dipstick?

The best way is to change the oil yourself. Many quick change places and dealerships try to do the change quickly so the old oil may not be fully drained before the tech screws the plug back in and then adds the oil on top.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
The best way is to change the oil yourself. Many quick change places and dealerships try to do the change quickly so the old oil may not be fully drained before the tech screws the plug back in and then adds the oil on top.

I think that's what happened on mine since the "new oil" was still light brown instead of honey. So I decided to add a 50/50 liquid moly 2009 and lubegard bio thingy, about 750ml total mix. The franken mix was done just because I didn't trust that all of the "new oil" was new, so I desired some higher quality anti oxidant capability and acid neutralization.

You could just pull the drain plug and pour in 5.5 quarts of quality oil.

I'd drain whatever crazy concoction you have in there now.

With an electronic dipstick, it should also tell you if it's overfilled. My wife's BMW has an electronic dipstick and according to the owner's manual if it's overfilled it will show a message on the dash. I'm sure your Volvo has to be the same way.

Originally Posted By: silveravant

The manual probably also says not to use additives.

The manual also says to READ THE MANUAL for best enjoyment and longevity of the car....
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: silveravant
The manual probably also says not to use additives.

Those who ignore their owner manuals come to BITOG asking for advice instead.
smile.gif

I like additives I admit it, it makes me feel good. Especially when I use the high end ones like Liquid Moly. I've used the Liquid Moly one on my 2002 Volvo and drove it 300k miles w/o turbo issues in Phoenix sun....where turbos go to die....so I will keep using it.

Originally Posted By: tempnexus
How to tell in a non dipstick system if the oil is overfilled? Volvo XC60, yes the electronic line thingy doesn't show max (red zone) but that measurement system consists of 4 bars (even though it looks like a line) so it takes a lot of loss to loose a bar or gain a bar. Thus, is there any other method of finding out if the system is overfilled or not?

What does your owners manual say?

For example, the owners manual on my 2005 Mercedes says, "If there is excess oil in the engine at normal operating temperature, the following message will appear..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back