Check This Out... Make Sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My stepson's 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee had a CEL. I put the code reader on it and it was 480 or 481, can't remember. Anyway, It was Cooling Fan Circuit 2. I started looking around and realized the fan motor felt terrible. We pulled the fan and put 12 volts to it. I hardly turned so I then checked the 50 amp fuse that feeds it. It was blown. We replaced the fan and the fuse and tested it.
After the fan cycled on we still had a CEL. I also could not erase it. I gave it some thought and said ok, it's the high speed circuit. I put on the air conditioning and let it run a few minutes. The fan came on and ran faster. The CEL was still on. We shut the car off and went on to something else. A short time after, he started the car to move it and the CEL was out and has been out ever since.
My best guess is once I turned the air on and ran circuit 2 it satisfied the computer and cleared the CEL. Thoughts?

Because the fan motor was shot. When I jumped it to test it, it ran very slowly and squeaked and the wire got hot very quickly.
The new one is silky smooth.

Agreed with Hoosier, probably needed a few cycle instances or some time to be satisfied with the operation of the fan circuit. It'd make sense given the critical nature of an working cooling fan

I attempted to clear it once I replaced the fuse thus completing the circuit. Erase failed. It finally did clear itself after I operated the AC and the fan came on.

It's fine now. I was just trying to make sense of it.

Got it, glossed over the part that the motor was actually bad, I just thought the fuse was replaced and it was problem solved. My bad.

TPMS codes are like this too, at least on my Jeeps they have been, just have to let them clear on their own.

Probably a two trip code, will take two trips to illuminate light. Two trips to clear light.

Or it's not a code controlled by OBD2 so a generic scan tool might not clear it.

If disconnecting the battery does not clear a code then you are left to the mercy of the ECU algorithms to clear itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back