Another Coolant Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow, I have ended up with a gallon of an Audi Coolant. Don't plan to use in any of my Honda.

It says, safe to use in Aluminum engines, but also list silicates in content.

Looking here: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/841/coolant-fundamentals

Can some of these silicates present in European car coolants cause problems with Water pump, as well as seals and all?

If so, why does the bottle say safe to use in AL engines?
21.gif

Does anyone know if this coolant is going to be safe for AL engine or no?

It would work meaning it has a suitable inhibitor chemistry for aluminum engines, but AFAIK the Japanese don't use any silicates in their coolants. Silicates can agglomerate into larger particles and fall out. Not personally a fan of silicate sand in my coolant, softly sandblasting impellers and abrading seals. The Japanese OEMs probably don't like that prospect either, and they only have the most reliable cooling systems around IMO.
wink.gif

Silicates are a problem if the internal components weren't designed for them, or if the silicates fall out of suspension right?

But the amount of silicates present in a modern coolant would be drastically less than in the old school formulas. A HOAT coolant like Zerex G05 is going to have some silicates, some organic acids.

So worst case -- if you use the coolant, change it out after 3 years/36k miles.

Not a problem. There was some concern with water pump life with the old, fully silicated formulas, but it's nothing like "sandblasting" any internal components. Another internet myth that just won't die. Japanese mostly avoid silicated because of their local water supply, which is I think soft water, so they use phosphates. In Europe they have very hard water and silicated formula works better in that scenario.

Reality is that today's low silicate formulas have no bearing on cooling component life what so ever.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Reality is that today's low silicate formulas have no bearing on cooling component life what so ever.

Low-silicate is better to alleviate the problem of dropout and abrasion, but it's just that- low silicate, not no-silicate. The presence of silicates doesn't automatically mean system failure, but the means of dropping out and becoming circulating abrasives well remains and that's still a difference. Silicates are obsolete IMO!

That's why you change the coolant. If you want to go 10 years between coolant changes, then I agree, you have to drop silicates, but if you're fine doing it every 5 years, silicates pose no problems and will not drop out.

I've been running G-05 in my Mazda 3 for close to 10 years now. No problems as long as no mixing with other formulas is allowed and the coolant is changed per recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back