New Subaru OCI Manual vs. Dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a new 2018 Subaru Impreza, my first new car in a long time. I see that the OCI for the 2.0 Boxer engine is 6,000 miles or 6 months on their synthetic oil (as per service schedule). My dealer informed me that I needed to change the oil at 3,000 miles for the first time, and gave me the whole break-in explanation. Speaking to friends and family who have recently purchased a Subaru I was told that isn't true...and they changed their oil at 6,000 miles on the factory fill.

I get my first year of service free...which is two oil changes (and a few rotations)...is this the dealer trying to hurry me up and make money on me?

Anyone been down this road with a new Subaru and can offer advice? In no way am I trying to be cheap, I want what is best for the car as I keep my cars a long long time (I just retired a 29 year old Toyota pickup).

It is nice to have a year covered in oil changes, so I don't want to be rushed if running the factory fill to 6,000 miles is better for break in than 3,000.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Our Santa Fe Sport 2.0T required the first oil change at 3K and the subsequent ones at 5K/6 month intervals. But that's also in the manual. I would go by the manual.

I just wanna say you have an awesome car with the best feeling unibody of a small car I've ever driven. The 2017+ Impreza is outstanding.
My sister owns a 2017 Impreza and I test drove one with a stick. The only thing that kept me from buying it is that I'm spoiled by having owned fast cars.

I once owned a WRX.
Subaru use to require the first oil change early on the 6 cylinder engines only as they had a timing chain and the four cylinder engines did not.

Originally Posted By: redwolf4k
I just purchased a new 2018 Subaru Impreza, my first new car in a long time. I see that the OCI for the 2.0 Boxer engine is 6,000 miles or 6 months on their synthetic oil (as per service schedule). My dealer informed me that I needed to change the oil at 3,000 miles for the first time, and gave me the whole break-in explanation. Speaking to friends and family who have recently purchased a Subaru I was told that isn't true...and they changed their oil at 6,000 miles on the factory fill.

I get my first year of service free...which is two oil changes (and a few rotations)...is this the dealer trying to hurry me up and make money on me?

Anyone been down this road with a new Subaru and can offer advice? In no way am I trying to be cheap, I want what is best for the car as I keep my cars a long long time (I just retired a 29 year old Toyota pickup).

It is nice to have a year covered in oil changes, so I don't want to be rushed if running the factory fill to 6,000 miles is better for break in than 3,000.

Thank you.

A Severe Service Interval oil change at 3,500 miles is an excellent idea.

Newer engines tend to shear oil more than older ones AND, you want to get rid of any 'new engine' wear particles and machining abrasives from the factory.

I change the Factory Fill (FF) on any new cars at 500 miles.

Last edited:
For what its worth, on brand new engines from Subaru i've always subscribed to the 1k oil change. Then run it to 5k (So 4k later) and change again.

From the 5k point, go with a 6-7.k oil change on full synthetic and never look back.

Sounds like 3,000 mile OCI cannot hurt. I will stick to it. Then I am going to the 6k interval. Thank you.

Thank you! I am very satisfied thus far. It is a hard car to beat in the under 20k new car segment. It is my first Subaru, as I have always owned Toyotas. It is quite quiet, handles nice and tight, I am pleased with the build quality. No buyers remorse with this one!

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I just wanna say you have an awesome car with the best feeling unibody of a small car I've ever driven. The 2017+ Impreza is outstanding.
My sister owns a 2017 Impreza and I test drove one with a stick. The only thing that kept me from buying it is that I'm spoiled by having owned fast cars.

I once owned a WRX.
Subaru use to require the first oil change early on the 6 cylinder engines only as they had a timing chain and the four cylinder engines did not.

Did Subaru fix the oil consumption issues? I like the Impreza and the Forester but I'm not crazy about using a quart of oil every 1K.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Did Subaru fix the oil consumption issues? I like the Impreza and the Forester but I'm not crazy about using a quart of oil every 1K.

My understanding is that those were fixed a few years ago.

My mom bought an 18 Forester, and the dealer gave her a free synthetic oil change at 3k, and also a complimentary inspection just to make sure everything else looked OK. I'd suggest pushing your dealer to offer the same- $15 in materials and an hour of the dealer's time is a minimal investment to make sure they have a happy customer that is more likely to be a repeat purchaser. It's just good business, and I won't deal with a dealer that doesn't.

Congrads redwolf4k on your new Subaru! Named after a Star System. I would listen to Molekule! But, it's your choice. I changed my Montero oil @ 1000 miles and she is in mint condition at 23 years old. However; that was a long time ago. Engines today have tighter clearances and the motor oil is superior......

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Been a while since I had a beand new Subaru

But back in 2004 it bought a brand new WRX then traded into in for a Legacy.

Both had a oil change at 1000miles

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
I'd suggest pushing your dealer to offer the same- $15 in materials and an hour of the dealer's time is a minimal investment to make sure they have a happy customer that is more likely to be a repeat purchaser. It's just good business, and I won't deal with a dealer that doesn't.

The "mainstream" brands haven't really gotten the grasp at this quite yet - Toyota offers 2 years of scheduled maintenance(per the "normal" schedule) and Lexus really started the complimentary first one or two scheduled maintenance visits for new owners in the 1990s.

Even though I think it's a ploy to make the dealer your one-stop shop for service(and salesmen circling the service drive like hawks), it's also a goodwill gesture for the dealer to show that they care and you're not just another prospect in their DMS.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: redwolf4k

Thank you.

Newer engines tend to shear oil more than older ones AND, you want to get rid of any 'new engine' wear particles and machining abrasives from the factory.

I change the Factory Fill (FF) on any new cars at 500 miles.

One of the only times I'll disagree with you, sir. For aggressively-tuned, high-strung engines or performance applications, I 100% agree with you. The motor in the Impreza is pretty tame. The only reason Subaru has such a short interval (lowered from 7,500 miles to 6k in most applications) is likely because they've had some issues with oil consumption.

IMO, 6k miles on synthetic (including the factory-fill) is pretty conservative, and makes a lot of Subarus very good candidates for OCI extension after after the warranty period is up, or sooner, based on UOA results.

Why not follow the manual to the letter while the vehicle is under warranty? If something goes wrong and you've followed the OEM guidelines to the letter it would be very hard for them to deny the warranty. If you didn't follow it the OE can deny the warranty. If the dealer tells you to bring it in at earlier than what is WRITTEN in the factory owners manual I would call them on it, tell them to put it in writing. Remember car dealers don't make much on the vehicle sale, the service center (and bodyshop) are the revenue makers. Getting you to come in for service allows them to up sell, remember the hardest thing to do in sales is to get the customer to come IN, once the customer is in the shop he/she is a captive customer, add the fearmongoring and general lack of automotive knowledge that most folks have, the dealer will try to sell you everything including Halogen fluid for your lights and muffler bearings. I believe that if you follow the factory service in the manual you'll be fine. Then again a sooner than needed oil change won't hurt. It's your money.

This is very old news.

To the OP, I had a 2015 Outback for two years. I believe in following the Subaru owners manual. The dealer may be trying to score an additional oil change fee during your first year. Always different opinions on this subject, but why try to outsmart the Subaru engineers?

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

This is very old news.

To the OP, I had a 2015 Outback for two years. I believe in following the Subaru owners manual. The dealer may be trying to score an additional oil change fee during your first year. Always different opinions on this subject, but why try to outsmart the Subaru engineers?

I wouldn't call 4-5 years ago very old. Plus they had issues with some 2016 models.
Quote:
The vehicles affected most seem to be 2011-2014 Forester (2.5-liter engine), 2013 Legacy (2.5-liter engine) 2013 Outback (2.5-liter engine) 2012-2013 Impreza (2.0-liter engine) and 2013 XV Crosstrek (2.0-liter engine)

Subaru settles oil consumption lawsuit

Last edited:
Redwolf4: Whoa, baby! When it comes to advice on BITOG, it's kinda hard to top the advice offered by the Big Dog, the Grand Poobah, the Big Kahuna of Black Gold, the Grand Sayer of Sooths, particularly when it comes in the form of 14pt Book Antiqua!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Newer engines tend to shear oil more than older ones AND, you want to get rid of any 'new engine' wear particles and machining abrasives from the factory. I change the Factory Fill (FF) on any new cars at 500 miles.

Were it me, I'd take pics of that oil change just in case he checks back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back