Excess Vehicles May Be Towed

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a house down the street that has a few Cab drivers living there and personal cars. Their neighbours call the cops and I get ticketed for parking on the street a block away. Multi generational households have a lot of cars

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Owning property is a privilege, not a right, that's why the majority of the population don't own anything of value.

Well, in the US it is a right, 331 U.S. 1.

It sounds as if Minnesota is trying their best to become another California.

Owning property is a privilege, not a right, that's why the majority of the population don't own anything of value.

Actually, I think owning property is a right. Property rights were the first thing protected by laws like the Magna Charta, and individual property rights are the basis of our system of laws.

This law:

Vehicles may not be parked in yards or on unpaved surfaces; vehicles must be parked within the garage or on a hard-surfaced driveway.

No more than two vehicles per dwelling unit, with proper driveway surface, may be parked outdoors on a property. Excess vehicles may be towed.

Well...sure seems to curtail that right. The city might have a right to limit what you can park on public property, e.g. the street. But to restrict what you own and park IN YOUR DRIVEWAY is just ridiculous.

This is an automotive forum where a good portion of the members probably have a project car/ summer car/ a car they do not drive every day, they are at the maximum in Minneapolis right now. What if they have a significant other than also has a car? or teenage kids? 2 cars is ridiculous especially considering what they could make from registration fees if they simply said no more unregistered, wheeless or smashed up heaps being eyesores in driveways.

Most all my neighbors have more than 2 cars per house. Most all have adult children living in the house with their parents. One house has 7 cars in their driveway.

Not anymore, we're all on a lifetime lease.

But it is not a privilege, it's a right, don't you understand?

If you read into the link, they also mention that working on cars in your driveway is not allowed. This adds to the absurdity. One significant reason I've been able to save money in my lifetime is by doing my own car work. Taking that away from someone can be a real financial hit.

The Minneapolis city council needs more people who work with their hands on the board, not pencil pushers.

If they can do this with success, just think of what they might think of next?

It seems very typical today to have both parents with cars and a teenager or young adult with theirs. That’s minimal for families and they are already above the limit.

Minnesota voted for their government. They should rethink their vote next election.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Well, in the US it is a right, 331 U.S. 1.

It sounds as if Minnesota is trying their best to become another California.

Sure is. Both states prohibit phone holders being mounted to the windshield.

I notice this a lot. A household will have 4 cars and they will have 3 of 4 vehicles in the street. Makes it hard to park. I guess you can't blame them. Home builders design 100ft driveways where only one car can fit at a time and nobody wants to play musical cars.

I’ve got two cars in the driveway and one on the street, I guess I’d be safe. 2 more in the garage.

Some cities are trying to crack down on people renting a house and having 2 or 3 families under one roof.

Very common here in Florida for a person to rent out rooms in a 4 bedroom house and 8 cars in front of the house at night.

Maxdustington alluded to this in his earlier comment. Minneapolis cracks down on the number of cars each house can have yet the state gladly accepts the registration an license fees for as many cars as you want to pay on.

This is not governing, it is social engineering.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Some cities are trying to crack down on people renting a house and having 2 or 3 families under one roof.

Very common here in Florida for a person to rent out rooms in a 4 bedroom house and 8 cars in front of the house at night.

Here in the Seattle-Tacoma region where real estate prices are passing Jupiter, rooms for rent are very common. Some owners even charge for bedspacing. Imagine only paying $150-200 a month for a spot on the floor to sleep. It’s happening and youngsters are happy to do this to save money.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
This is not governing, it is social engineering.

Ding ding ding and we're in the late hours of it. It all happens so slowly, while we're all so busy and we didn't notice..

Move out of the City ... County prolly has no such restrictions
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back