2015 Ford 6.7 Powerstroke 38k oci broken crank

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 Ford 6.7 Powerstroke 5w40 Amsoil fully deleted and Amsoil dual remote bypass
Well 5 hrs after I took this oil sample and changed the oil the crankshaft snapped ruining the block
38,000km with a full flow filter change half way through
Oil sample looks great I am guessing there was a weak spot in the crank that finally let go? No lead so I don't think it spun a bearing first.

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
Why would you do this..

Why would I do what? Oil sample came back looking great?
At 45ppm of Iron I am nearly 1ppm per 1000km that is phenomenal for a Hard Working PSD with lots of PTO Hrs IMO

Last edited:
My Powerstroke is on my 35ft motorhome...and my Iron last 2 OCIs were 68, 63. Are you going to try and warranty it (assuming you can't due to delete)? Sorry for your bad luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mbacfp
My Powerstroke is on my 35ft motorhome...and my Iron last 2 OCIs were 68, 63. Are you going to try and warranty it (assuming you can't do to delete)? Sorry for your bad luck.

You're a similar setup as this is also a F-550 but with a Vac tank on it, what is your OCI? truck is just out of warranty, a brand new long block is $7000 with 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Last edited:
When the engines start costing half the price of the vehicle, I err on the extreme side of caution.

Science be [censored].

Witchcraft at that point lol

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
When the engines start costing half the price of the vehicle, I err on the extreme side of caution.

Science be [censored].

Witchcraft at that point lol

Engine is 7000CDN
Purchase Price of truck 140,000CDN

it's far from half

Here is a link to my OCIs.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...owe#Post4355305

I just had a upper oil pan leak which was luckily covered under warranty. My truck is always under load and 75% of the time flat towing a 5,000 pound Dodge Durango. 85% highway driving...hardly ever idles except to hook and unhook tow vehicle...currently have 21,800 mine. Take care.

Anyone know the expected lifespan of a powerstroke? I assumed that 6000hrs was close to the end of the road anyway, I know Ford redesigned the 6.7 for 2017 and they promise it will make it to 10,000hrs, but they also promised the 6.0 was a great engine
smirk.gif

Didn't they test them to hit 250,000 miles? My only real worry/concern was the turbo charger failing...I believe C&C trucks 2013+ have the turbo problem fixed.

Here is a link to my OCIs.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...owe#Post4355305

I just had a upper oil pan leak which was luckily covered under warranty. My truck is always under load and 75% of the time flat towing a 5,000 pound Dodge Durango. 85% highway driving...hardly ever idles except to hook and unhook tow vehicle...currently have 21,800 mine. Take care.

what is your engine hrs? I imagine its well under 1000 and still "breaking in" this truck also had a upper oil pan leak early on in its life, any reason for the additives? I used archoil on tired 6.0's with weak injectors but I don't see a reason to use it on a brand new engine with CR

Didn't they test them to hit 250,000 miles? My only real worry/concern was the turbo charger failing...I believe C&C trucks 2013+ have the turbo problem fixed.

250,000 miles @ 50mph is only 5000hrs, this engine exceeded that
laugh.gif
looks like I got a good one.
The sister truck had a turbo go right before Christmas but I believe it was from lack of maintenance as I got a very poor UOA on it.
If your 2014 had the old [censored] ceramic bearing turbo it will blow soon enough and they will put a steel one in under warranty.

Last edited:
I'm not sure on engine hours. I ran the additive primarily for extra turbo charger protection. My next OCI will not have any additives and I am planning on stopping due to advice on here. Been running Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 CJ4 and Mobil Delvac 5w-40 CJ4. My upper oil pan leak was fixed last September and I didn't get a sample...so my next OCI will be late May before summer trips.

I read somewhere 2013+ C&C went back to steel ball bearings, but have no confirmation on that.

Originally Posted By: DustinC
Anyone know the expected lifespan of a powerstroke? I assumed that 6000hrs was close to the end of the road anyway, I know Ford redesigned the 6.7 for 2017 and they promise it will make it to 10,000hrs, but they also promised the 6.0 was a great engine
smirk.gif

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/PTO_Performance_B10_Life.pdf

That's the lower output commercial version, though.

Hmm. I can see 5000 hours before worn piston rings, low compression, worn bearings, etc, but a crank breaking seems more like a manufacturing flaw. You said this engine was "deleted", what kind of tuning does it have?

I would strip the bypass and everything aftermarket off the engine before I let the Ford dealer see it. I agree with the broken crank due to bad metallurgy (the 6.2/6.5 GM ones were infamous for it), but I wouldn't want to give them a $10 grand excuse not to warrant it. I can't believe a BRAND NEW 6.7 crate longblock is only $7000 CDN, no way it's that cheap, plus labor, etc.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I would strip the bypass and everything aftermarket off the engine before I let the Ford dealer see it. I agree with the broken crank due to bad metallurgy (the 6.2/6.5 GM ones were infamous for it), but I wouldn't want to give them a $10 grand excuse not to warrant it. I can't believe a BRAND NEW 6.7 crate longblock is only $7000 CDN, no way it's that cheap, plus labor, etc.

I think he just meant that the long block is $7000 CDN, not including labor. That might be a little on the cheap side, but not by a ton. Here is a 6.7L long block from CPP Diesel that's listed at $7000 USD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back