Looking to maybe change oils....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always used Mobil 1 for most everything. If that wasn’t available, Valvoline. Now my 2001 Toyota Sequoia seems to have slight issue in the winter with Mobil 1 high mileage 5W/30, which is the weight called for my my owners manual and oil cap. As far as I recall this is a conventionl oil? I have 236,000 miles on the V8, live in southeast Missouri and almost all my driving is highway miles, 30-60 miles per trip. Some 4 wheel drive in bad weather but not much.

I have no oil leaks, no mechanical issues and am just wondering if there is a better oil, especially for cold weather starts? Would a blend like Valvoline Maxlife be a better choice? Almost every day is I start it, let it warm up for a minute, drive a few hundred yards to the highway and up to 65-70 mph for a long drive of slightly hilly highway.

I may be under the false impression that a switch to a synthetic at this higher mileage could clean it up and create leaks. That may be an old wives tale?

Your advice is appreciated.

5w oil in your climate is more than sufficient. And the M1HM is synthetic as stated earlier.

Let’s see. You’ve made it to 236,00 miles, have no leaks, and no mechanical problems. Sounds like you are using a pretty good oil. And yes it is a synthetic. If you are not satisfied with your starts you could change to Mobil 1 0W-30. Make sure it’s not your battery that is the problem.

SF

Last edited:
I’m running 5w30 in Calgary. It was -24C when I started the truck a couple of days ago. Stick with what you are doing.

Like they've said, I would be looking at the battery in cold weather. That is a good synthetic oil for cold weather. Battery may be giving you a warning.

https://jet.com/product/detail/b1302678894f4ce5a13fb1eaba7a189d?jcmp=pla:bng:All%20Products%20Catch%20All:All%20Products:na:pLA_112586931_4372403789_pla-4579946966786142_m:na:na:na:2PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=112586931&is_retargeting=true&clickid=0c30aea2-f065-41c8-963f-6af1da055e16&msclkid=d38f4cb5a4ad122c5ff716cc0ab6e4a4

Apologies, to clarify this is what I meant. I forgot the word “super”.

The issue is not the battery. I had it, along with the alternator tested, twice. I also, just to be sure, switched batteries at my brothers house with his new interstate battery and the vehicle started the same.

Mobil deserves your business. Here is my two cents. Try Mobil 1 0-30 Advanced Fuel Economy if you want to feel an easier start. Otherwise it seems you are doing well with the Super.

SF.
49.gif

What exactly is the "slight issue"? Is it just having trouble cranking? Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see where you actually described the issue. The vehicle is 17 years old... if it's a cranking issue and the battery has been tested to be good, it very well could be the starter on the way out. There is no way it's cold enough in Missouri to have issues with a 5W30.

Originally Posted By: Tlhfirelion
As far as the 1000 or 2000 I do not know. It’s the exact one in the link above. Thank you.

Sorry, but the link doesn’t open properly. I’m still interested in seeing it.

Last edited:
I don't think there is necessarily a better choice than the Mobil Super 5w30 HM you are using but if you are bored with it, give the Mobil 1 5w30 HM version a try or Valvoline Maxlife (syn blend or full synthetic).

I would check your ground. It could also be your starter or a number of things. Make sure your connections are clean and tight.

Anybody else notice the Mobil Super HM is listed as "for engines made before the year 2000"?
smirk.gif
The regular Mobil Super doesn't say that. Not sure why the disclaimer. Does it even matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back