How many qts will a SBC hold? (see my other post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...given what happened in my other thread...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4657581/Crazy_oil_change_(fail)_story_#Post4657581

I just had to see how many quarts of oil a Small Block Chevy (79 305 with 5qt pan) would hold, filled to the brim, coming out of the valve covers. Post your guesses and I will reply later. I did this on a social media site, it was cool to see everyone's estimates.

Saw a mitsubishi 2.6 back in 1986 take 12L before the guy could see the oil level near the top of the filler (then drive off), so guess 18L.

However, temper that guess with you haven't removed all the air bubbles, and it's in the first few minutes after filling, so that the air doesn't get past the rings, and let the oil fill the rest of the volumes

The CSB will hold 24 qt.

A neighbor had a 2002 Audi A4 with the 3.0l V6. Oil capacity was 6.3l I believe. "Dad" kept adding oil because it wouldn't stop smoking".
Believe me, it smoked and had a cat related CEL.
I drained 11.5qt (10.85l) from it.
It ran OK with a normal fill. It stopped smoking satisfactorily progressively.
The CEL returned at ever increasing intervals over a month of driving and then stayed out.
The drained oil had little black (carbon?) chips in it.

Sorry for the delay..it held 40 quarts before it was coming out of both valve covers! (I filled it thru the distributer hole).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back