Has anyone ever done a uoa on PP High Mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched here and did a Google search for it but couldn't fine any? Back when I ran it,the ding dong USPS lost my sample I'd sent to Blackstone.

Well Char, we all know what happens when you assume things, and you're not going to make one out of me.
smile.gif

I haven't seen any for PPHM, I may try some on the Odyssey next time. My next OC is going to be Harvest King 5W30 syn, which is now Dexos 1 Gen 2 certified. I haven't decided if I am doing a VOA/UOA on the new HK.

I emailed Pennzoil this morning asking what the difference is between PP 0W20 and PPHM 0W20 and here's what they said:

Me:
I've been using Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 in my 2012 Honda Accord (with the 2.4 K24 4 cylinder engine) that has 76,000 miles on it. It has no leaks and uses no oil whatsoever. Would there be any benefit of switching to Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 0W20? What's the exact difference between the regular Platinum 0W20 and the high mileage Platinum 0W20?

Thanks!!

Them:
If you are not losing or consuming oil there is no need to switch to the Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage. The primary difference is the cleaning additives are removed and seal conditioners are added to the Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage oil to help with older worn seals. If you would like to discuss this in detail please call our hotline at 1-800-237-8645, option 3,1

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The primary difference is the cleaning additives are removed,,,,

HUH?!?!?!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The primary difference is the cleaning additives are removed,,,,

HUH?!?!?!

Hmmm....sooo...wait, what?!?!

Yeah I'm a little confused too. I thought high mileage oils had:

More cleaning additives
More anti wear additives
Seal conditioners

And I just put PPHM 5w30 in my car... Sooo... hmmm. Idk what to say now... Quite an eye opener for me, but now that does make sense, at least as far as keeping HM and Non-HM oils at the same price.

The primary difference is the cleaning additives are removed. Come on Pennzoil. Your website Say's Pennzoil Platinum® High Mileage keeps pistons up to 20% cleaner. So I am going to assume the person misspoke?

I think the difference is actually a seal conditioner additive is added and pretty much everything else stays the same. I saw this weekend at Advanced Auto that Valvoline actually has an engine treatment additive for high mileage cars that can be purchased and poured into the engine that helps to condition seals and gaskets , plus some other things that I just cannot remember.

I just spoke with the Pennzoil rep and she confirmed that Plat HM replaces the cleaners with seal conditioners. I'm somewhat disappointed, as this oil had a positive effect on my Cadillac.

I then emailed valvoline about their syn HM oil, and based on their response, my next OC may well be valvoline. Here is my question:

I currently use your full synthetic oil (0w20) in my 2012 Honda Odyssey, which has 78k miles but does not use any oil. Is there any benefit to switching to your full synthetic Maxlife oil, or is there no benefit to switching to the high mileage oil? Also, what is the difference between the two oils, other than the addition of seal conditioners? Thank you

And here is their response:

Ryan, thank you for contacting Valvoline Product Support.

First, thank you for using our products. There is a big difference in the additive package between the two products. The Maxlife high mileage formulation features a stronger detergent package to keep combustion bi-products from clinging to the inside of the engine. There are additives that prolong performance and protection as well as the seal agent that keeps seals and gaskets soft and pliable so they don't dry rot and crack like older seal do. Additional information regarding the products is available at our website, Valvoline.com.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via phone at 800 TEAM VAL or by email at [email protected] for assistance.

Thank you and have a great day.

It almost seems like HM oils are the way to go from birth. I went with QSUD in my 300ZX this go around but will be returning to PPHM next oil change as it seems to "like" it better. I might go with PPHM 0W20 in the Accord next oil change.

The Mustang is sweating a little oil from someplace so I'm going to use PPHM in it next oil change. I think it has 168,000 miles on it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back