weird maintenance items

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going through my Honda Mower OM(HRX217HXA). At 100 hours, it says, grease the pinion gears. How do you do that? At 150 hours, it says to Adjust the valve clearance and the idle speed. Also clean the fuel tank. What? Clean the fuel tank. At 250 hours, clean the combustion chamber. We don't even do that on our cars. Does anybody do these? I like to get my stuff to run as long as I can. On my Kawasaki at 300 hours, it says to clean combustion chamber, check and adjust valve clearance, and clean and lap valve seating surface. Now I am not close to 300 hours on the Kawasaki, and I don't think the Honda is due for its 250 hour service, but how do you do all that if necessary. Or is it? We don't even do these in our cars.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
i adjusted the ohv on my B&S engine and it ran a lot better. they were tight
How do you do that?

Adjusting the valves is simple provided one has some basic knowledge and understanding of internal combustion engines.

Knowing what TDC (top dead center) means is of importance as well as knowing the difference between the exhaust and intake valves. Having an idea of where and what a cam shaft and rocker arms are comes in handy.

If people have no mechanical experience, they are better off leaving that work to people who know what they're doing. They could end up with an engine that runs poorly by simply throwing off the adjustment when trying to torque down the lock nuts.

Check the valve clearances when due for sure.

As far as cleaning the combustion chamber, I usually spray some Amsoil Power Foam into the carburetor of a running small engine gradually until it stalls, let it soak for an hour then start up and fog the yard for 15 minutes. This seems to get the combustion chamber plenty clean.
You can also use Chemtool or Seafoam for this.
Don't worry about lapping valves or any of that, I've seen plenty of Hondas and Kawasakis with over 2000 hours without ever having the head taken off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back