Red Line 15w40 HDEO 2014 F250 6.7 PSD 9400 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, vanilla. Whatever happened to 6,000,000 ppm of moly...though Fe looks to be better, all else seems equal.
TR is trace.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Wow, vanilla. Whatever happened to 6,000,000 ppm of moly...

because it only shows *some* (not all) additive packs... and only at the molecular level.

A UOA also doesn't show anything about base oils used.

VOA for this oil:

://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4521580/VOA_Red_Line_15w40_HDEO#Post4521580

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Just wondering, how high does the iron ppm have to get before these guys would be concerned?

over 100ppm might raise a flag all depends on how many hrs on the oil

Redline sure knocked down your iron on this longer OCI. Whether it's moly or gerbil urine that's in the oil, its clearly working for you. I wouldn't change a thing.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Redline sure knocked down your iron on this longer OCI. Whether it's moly or gerbil urine that's in the oil, its clearly working for you. I wouldn't change a thing.

Agreed.

Has anyone ever seen this "TR" comment from Blackstone before on fuel dilution? That could be interpreted as 0.01%, 1% or 4% fuel dilution?? I'm guessing a decent amount of fuel dilution here given the big flashpoint drop from 475 to 415, the viscosity drops, and a lot of subfreezing idling with the 15w. Is Blackstone finally admitting they can't accurately measure fuel dilutuon, by just saying TR with no number?

Note: fuel dilution is a big deal to me, because of other engines where I have fuel dilution problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Both of the right two are RT6 CJ4? What's with the nosedive in Potassium and Boron between the two fills of the same exact oil?

Archoil in the first RT6 fill. Archoil pollution carryover in the second RT6.

Last edited:
I didn't know that the 6.7 had a reputation for shearing oil. I thought that was only for Ford diesels with the HEUI injection system. The 6.7 is HPCR, isn't it? It sheared the RT6 more than 10% twice. And I find it hard to believe that Redline 15w40 would shear at all. And that flashpoint of 415 seems low for RL 15w40. Maybe you have fuel dilution, and Blackstone isn't detecting it?

T6 being a group III, there's a giant slug of VIIs in it. That it shears in just about every HDEO application is not unheard of. It's used in motorcycles with shared sumps and it shears greatly there, too. That does not mean it's failing it's job to protect against wear. It's just part of the beast; it seems to shear readily no matter what you put it in, if you run it long enough.

Last edited:
Has the engine ever run a GII+ 15w40 like Delo or Delvac … guess 15w might be seasonal …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Has the engine ever run a GII+ 15w40 like Delo or Delvac … guess 15w might be seasonal …

Yes, but never got UOAs with GII 15w40s. My UOAs are sporadic with this engine since no apparent serious issues.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
T6 being a group III, there's a giant slug of VIIs in it. That it shears in just about every HDEO application is not unheard of. It's used in motorcycles with shared sumps and it shears greatly there, too. That does not mean it's failing it's job to protect against wear. It's just part of the beast; it seems to shear readily no matter what you put it in, if you run it long enough.

RT6 hasn't been shearing in my Cummins, and there are many UOA's up to 37k miles posted here that show it.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I didn't know that the 6.7 had a reputation for shearing oil. I thought that was only for Ford diesels with the HEUI injection system. The 6.7 is HPCR, isn't it? It sheared the RT6 more than 10% twice. And I find it hard to believe that Redline 15w40 would shear at all. And that flashpoint of 415 seems low for RL 15w40. Maybe you have fuel dilution, and Blackstone isn't detecting it?

Yes, I'm getting very concerned about Blackstone fuel dilution analysis. Had seen your long T6 runs without shearing. I'm having fuel dilution problems in other engines, and will probably be switching to Oil Analyzers per recommendations in the below-listed threads unless anyone has a better idea:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4618805/Best_oil_for_handling_1-3__fue

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr..._Ya#Post4520553

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

RT6 hasn't been shearing in my Cummins, and there are many UOA's up to 37k miles posted here that show it.

Two thoughts on your UOAs ... and there's no real way to know, but these are observations
1) they certainly are the exception rather than the rule
2) because your UOAs are so much longer, there's a likelihood that you're seeing two phenomenon at the same time; VII shearing is offset by oxidation/soot thickening
I can't prove or disprove it, but your UOAs are not "normal", as most T6 show shearing
Cummins I-6 such as yours don't seem to shear many fluids in normal use, so that also helps.

Last edited:

Turns out it was fuel dilution. Just got back 3.7% fuel dilution (GC measurement) report on most recent analysis from Oil Analyzers. Thanks for suggesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back