Do dirty pistons really affect performance/economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do dirty pistons really affect performance/economy or is it only a cosmetic issue? Like people who say that car runs better after a car wash or engine runs better after they rinse the top of the engine etc.

piston deposits (light) is mainly cosmetic IMO, heavy piston deposits can cause issues... such as preignition.excessive wear, stuck rings..etc

I think the answer here is eventually. Once piston deposits start and no action is taken to resolve or reverse them they continue to build and as mentioned already the result is stuck rings, hot spots etc.

light crud on the skirt - cosmetic.

Crud anywhere in the rings - its real.

UD

Ring coking is a big problem. It causes the rings to seal shut, blow by, and high oil consumption that can lead to cat failure.

Thanks all.

Now the question is: Do any additives actually clean the pistons if the engine is direct injection like the Volvo Drive-E engines?

If not then how does one go about cleaning them? (pull the plugs, soak the piston in let say starter fluid ?)

Last edited:
There is no logic in the direct injection as a problematic variable for an additive for piston cleaning. The additive will clean a DI piston the same as a regular fuel injection.

Did you mix this up with valve cleaning?

That being said any of the pea additives will work, I will recommend redline si1. You can youtube redline si1 reviee and a couple people have taken before and after borescope shots where it cleans. It is realistic as its not 100% clean but you see it working.
Finally if your system is already clean enough there is not going to be any difference in your vehicle behavior.

Last edited:
Well, if the piston top deposits build up to an extent where the engine's compression ratio becomes effected, that will certainly cause a performance change, wouldn't you say?

Deposit control is a MUST, in my opinion.

Bestest way I know to control carbon build up is the funnest too. The Italian tune up
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
Bestest way I know to control carbon build up is the funnest too. The Italian tune up
grin2.gif

Absolutely! I do a combo effect of dosing with Redline SI-1 while doing it. Fun and healing at the same time (done safely of course).

There are many youtube videos of guys cleaning piston tops and combustion chambers with various products, they have proof of good/bad with boroscopes.

I havent seen a water mist video yet perhaps there isnt one..but water as far as i know cleans combustion chambers the best.

Does it matter one way or another? No proof of performance or economy that i have ever seen.

There are lots of engines that make it way past 200-400K miles with nothing done but routine maintanance.

IMHO most of the ring coking and blowby issues are due to manufacturing defects using poor designs or bad products..

I've done MMO/ Seafoam/ Water mist cleans of old saturn s-series.

They burn oil and the coke from that leads to preignition/ knocking, which leads to ignition retard, and flat spots/ terrible performance.

All three methods clean great. So does running a 15w40 oil.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I've done MMO/ Seafoam/ Water mist cleans of old saturn s-series.

They burn oil and the coke from that leads to preignition/ knocking, which leads to ignition retard, and flat spots/ terrible performance.

All three methods clean great. So does running a 15w40 oil.

Same thing in my saturns, I used berryman b-12 1/2 can every 3rd tank, and rev it good when hot.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
That sc1 has been at 185k for a long time now.

It was rebuilt at 185k, It was my sons car through high school and college. After graduating he bought a '17 elantra. It sits some. I'm not sure what mileage is on it now. For a while he only drove about 3 miles to work and back.

I had an 02 with 65k or so, but i gave it to my daughter in law when they got married ( the 02 is an auto, the 01 is a manual). Even if it does not get driven, i will keep it as a backup parts car for the 02. Gen 3 body parts can be hard to get, especially bumper covers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tempnexus
(pull the plugs, soak the piston in let say starter fluid ?)

Starting fluid is a decent de-greaser. but worthless as a carbon solvent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back