Motorcraft Synblend 5w30 Flash Point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy
The specs on this oil show it only has a 402 degree flash point. Isnt that too low to run in an Ecoboost engine?

My recent UOA showed a flash point of 385*F after 4,275 miles using Motorcraft 5W-30 in our 2.3 EB engine. Blackstone is indicating it should be >365*F. While the oil sheared to a 20 weight oil the wear metals were fine. Would I trust it to Ford's 10,000 mile iOLM recommendation using the Motorcraft 5W-30, NO, but that's me
21.gif

Whimsey

I have a friend that works for Ford he told me they have now been beating the living tar out of Ecoboost motors on the dyno and in cars and trucks for years. And I'm talking massive abuse! Then they tear them apart and evaluate the wear and look for ways to improve things. They exclusively run Motorcraft oil in several weights depending on the motor. He told me several times there may be better oil out there but on an engine tear down they don't see any reason to change to some other oil. He said to me the wear is quite low in all areas of the motor. There is no reason you can't get several hundred thousand miles running Motorcraft oil in your EB.

If it was too low then the container would state "The flash point of this oil is too low for use in an Ecoboost engine."

if parts of an engine are subjected to extreme heat, one would think you want the temp at which oil ignites to be as high as possible?

Last edited:
One thing I know is that Ecoboosts don't run well without oil. Mine had a filter installed improperly at a lube shop. (double filter gasket, with one pinched). It pushed all the oil out and then I'm not sure how long it ran. We were able to drive it to the dealer, and it sounded fine. It wasn't. The bearings were turned into beautiful, shiny, sliver sand that filled up the oil filter. The engine and turbos were toast.

It is getting a Ford remanufactured engine, as I type this. It will get what I gave it before. Mobil 1 EP 5w30, with oil changes guided by the OLM, which will be around 10k miles. I just have to make sure it keeps the oil in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back