Which oil from stash for winter driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, some idiot whacked the Camry this morning flying thru red light near my road close to interstate. Cops called and filed claim. Caught back rear left fender and part of driver rear door. The 97' Bonneville with just over 300k will be used til' Camry is fixed. Thinking of using some QSUD 10w30 or MC HDEO 10w30.

Did I not just read the other day that you were "no longer" using SOUPOUS products because there was falling out of suspension issues in the bottom of a PPHM jug? I think that reason personally is ridiculous -- SOPOUS products are the top of the line. You said, Mobil 1 for now on for you.

Originally Posted By: car51
So, some idiot whacked the Camry this morning flying thru red light near my road close to interstate. Cops called and filed claim. Caught back rear left fender and part of driver rear door. The 97' Bonneville with just over 300k will be used til' Camry is fixed. Thinking of using some QSUD 10w30 or MC HDEO 10w30.

Adam I've been using QSUD this fall and winter 5w-30 seems to be working out great. I'm getting close to doing an OCI. Probably will go to 10w-30 for spring and summer. I'll know more about how well it did when I run the UOA on it.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Did I not just read the other day that you were "no longer" using SOUPOUS products because there was falling out of suspension issues in the bottom of a PPHM jug? I think that reason personally is ridiculous -- SOPOUS products are the top of the line. You said, Mobil 1 for now on for you.

Well, I poured this QSUD Into clear 5quart container and no "additive fallout" in that jug. I will use SOPUS products in future and whatever is cheap or on clearance as I have 2 5quart jugs of PYB 10w40 I nabbed today at autozone for $4 a jug
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
That's some bad luck, bro. Did the other driver receive a citation?

Yeah, tried leaving and I got plate and called cops; were there in 10 minutes. Cited him for one headlight out, too fast for conditions (roads were very icy and UN TREATED to begin with) and running a red light.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: car51

Adam I've been using QSUD this fall and winter 5w-30 seems to be working out great. I'm getting close to doing an OCI. Probably will go to 10w-30 for spring and summer. I'll know more about how well it did when I run the UOA on it.

Thanks for that info; I have 2 jugs of QSUD 10w30 left so may use one this weekend
smile.gif

About 1/4 quart in 1,500 miles or so as I should do valve stem seals or completely rebuild heads
smile.gif

Glad to hear you are okay.

Lots of idiot drivers out there. Just read the local news here of a overnight freeway crash where a pickup hit a car then jumped the jersey barrier. In total he hit five cars. He was illegal, unlicensed and drunk to boot. He also ran from the scene unscathed. Others were injured though.

First thing first. I pray you do not lingering issues in the future. I would use the QSUD it likely is a bit easier for your oil pump to pump on early cold mornings.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
"

I've been on BITOG since 2012, (not long) and I have read numerous postings about Pennzoil oil additives falling out of suspension. Pennzoil had to even address this on their FAQ (Posted on home page). I doubt it really matters, since you just need to shake it up a lot. It may be the type of additives, but that's speculation. Or it could be how people store it, I don't know. There are youtube videos about this. I've never read of another brand oil doing this. This my personal opinion. Some of the intellectuals made have a better explanation. I've never googled it or anything. Just recalling from memory. Pennzoil makes great oil. But, I can see how it can be a concern. The great thing about our Country, is that we can buy and use any oil brand we want. Different strokes for different folks!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back