Proper oil for warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say you buy a new car/truck and it calls for 5w30 and you decide to run 10w30 summer and 0w30 in the winter. Now let's say your new ride has a connecting rod failure or some other big engine failure but not oil related. Can or will a car company not cover your repair if the oil is not a 5w30 in this case you were running a 10w30? Or if the oil is in the recommended 30 weight range you are ok?

There is always the chance they can deny a warranty claim. Some swear as long as the crankcase is filled to the proper level, and the oil doesn't look like tar you're fine. I have seen warranty claims denied first hand while working at dealerships for various reasons. Having said that, it depends is the only accurate answer I can give. Keep an accurate log, and a stack of invoices for the oil and filters used and hope for the best if you have a problem. Or better yet just run the approved 5W30 oil year round, it is a 30 grade at operating temps and will be fine.

GM is pretty serious that you use Dexos approved oil but I have not heard any anecdotal stories of them denying coverage because of the improper weight etc. Depending on the vehicle and problem they may have a different attitude. GM would not look kindly on running 10-30 in their V-8's because they did a lot of work to prevent problems in the lifters for their AFM systems.

SF

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
GM is pretty serious that you use Dexos approved oil but I have not heard any anecdotal stories of them denying coverage because of the improper weight etc. Depending on the vehicle and problem they may have a different attitude. GM would not look kindly on running 10-30 in their V-8's because they did a lot of work to prevent problems in the lifters for their AFM systems. How confident are you on running the incorrect oil? I understand wanting to run a 0-xx, but it escapes me why someone would want to run a 10-xx since very few manufacturers have spec'd 10-xx in the last 20 years. (I've rehashed this several times. There are exceptions but you can count them on one hand.)

SF

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Let's say you buy a new car/truck and it calls for 5w30 and you decide to run 10w30 summer and 0w30 in the winter. Now let's say your new ride has a connecting rod failure or some other big engine failure but not oil related. Can or will a car company not cover your repair if the oil is not a 5w30 in this case you were running a 10w30? Or if the oil is in the recommended 30 weight range you are ok?

Your dealer will never figure it out bet money on it!

Originally Posted By: Camprunner

If it is only visc difference, you really can't tell because they shear out of grade during use.

Now if you use the wrong kind of oil and you get sludge, then they may decline warranty assuming you didn't change oil.

Stick to the 5w30. Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 claims they can cover for 5w30 and 10w30, so you could use that in the winter.

If you want your warranty to stay intact, then play by the manufacturer's rules about oil specs and service intervals. The main time I see dealers asking specifically for oil change receipts is when the motor looks like its sludged or abused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back