New 2018 Dodge Durango or Ford Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at buying a New Dodge Durango or Ford Explorer this coming spring. We’ve had issues with the 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4x4, six recalls later, two navigation radios replaced, and one transmission replaced all under warranty. Has been in the dealership for over 25 days total combined. In the dealership again today as the ABS service light and Transmission service light came on again this morning. Apparently a bad ABS sensor they have found now. Only 55,2xx miles on it and just has been one thing after another it seems.

Reliability between Durango and Explorer is my question, would like something that would go 100,000 miles plus without nickel & dimeing me to death after the warranty expires.

Thank you in advance for the recommendations.

What about a 4runner? I feel like that is least likely to have issues long term. It may have slightly less interior volume compared to the other two.

I think both would cost you after warranty is up. Hard to make a call on which would be less painful after warranty. If it were my money, I would go with Ford.

The Durango is on a very mature platform with an equally mature powertrain, I don't think you can go wrong there. I have no experience with the present version of the Explorer, but I believe it's built on a FWD-based platform if that matters to you.

We've had excellent service from our Durango thus far.

If I had that much trouble with a car make, I wouldn’t turn around and buy another.

If it’s only between the two, I’d get the Explorer. But I think you should keep shopping. What about a Santa Fe.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If I had that much trouble with a car make, I wouldn’t turn around and buy another.

he isnt buying another.. hes buying a different platform vehicle.

by your statement If I got one of those powershift focus transmission that is a total POS I should avoid all ford.

The grand cherokee is a very good option too IMO.

hyundai, they have massive issues too on some models. Its knowing which model to buy more than any one specific car manufacturer.
IIRC they have a class action lawsuit for engines failing 2.4 and 2.0T (not just oil burning like subaru)

Originally Posted By: Bighorn2500
Reliability between Durango and Explorer is my question, would like something that would go 100,000 miles plus without nickel & dimeing me to death after the warranty expires.

Honda or Toyota if you want long term reliability.

Originally Posted By: Bighorn2500

The Explorer platform is shared with the Taurus and Flex and the Police versions of each. Based off an old Volvo platform, IIRC. Powertrain is solid as the 3.5 and EB 3.5 have been out for years now. 6F50/55 is solid.

That being said, Ford reliability is ahead of Dodge long term so I'd go there. Having 122k on a first gen Taurus, my total out of warranty non maintenance cost has been $0.

Last edited:
I drive both at work. They are rental vehicles. I like the Durango better but that's pretty much based on looks. They both haven't had any issues in aware of as far as power train problems or recalls.

Originally Posted By: Rand

he isnt buying another.. hes buying a different platform vehicle.

by your statement If I got one of those powershift focus transmission that is a total POS I should avoid all ford.

The grand cherokee is a very good option too IMO.

hyundai, they have massive issues too on some models. Its knowing which model to buy more than any one specific car manufacturer.
IIRC they have a class action lawsuit for engines failing 2.4 and 2.0T (not just oil burning like subaru)

You're more forgiving than I am. Doesn't really matter if it's a different platform, it's all under the same tent and if I personally had terrible issues from one make, I probably wouldn't shop it again for a while. I had that issue with some VWs, not going to make that mistake again.

Engine recalls from older model Hyundai's are fortunately irrelevant to mine, so I'm good to go.

BTW, I'll admit every day and twice on Sunday on here that my Jeep is definitely not wearing a halo above it for being low maintenance. It's needed a ridiculous amount of work and needs more done, but I only keep it for sentimental reasons and I need a 4x4.

You're more forgiving than I am. Doesn't really matter if it's a different platform, it's all under the same tent and if I personally had terrible issues from one make, I probably wouldn't shop it again for a while.
Yeah, I'm the same way. Bought a new Honda in 2000, and had issues with it. Haven't bought another Honda since. It's not completely rational, I know. I guess I just hold my grudges for a long time.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: tcp71
Isn’t the Cherokee and Durango based in the same chassis?

Grand Cherokee and Durango.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
What about a 4runner? I feel like that is least likely to have issues long term. It may have slightly less interior volume compared to the other two.

I'd also choose a 4Runner.

Originally Posted By: A_A_G
Neither, both have reliability issues. Go Honda Pilot

I wont gamble on a V6 Honda with Auto trans

I have to agree with others. If I had that much trouble with my Jeep Cherokee, I wouldn't rush to buy another vehicle from Chrysler.

Between your choices, I would go with the Explorer although I'm not convinced you will get 100k miles without nickel and diming you. Test drive both. And make a list of options that you MUST have. That may help you make your decision.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back