What oil do USA Volvo dealers use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The volvo recommends castrol edge professional A5/B5 formula but I am at loss trying to find this in the US stores. So what does Volvo uses?

I recently had this conversation with my Service Advisor.

Under warranty they use Castrol Professional A5/B5 in bottles. Outside of warranty my dealer would use their bulk, a Quaker State 5W-30 synthetic.

10-15 years ago my nissan dealer told me regarding antifreeze
underwarranty they use nissan xyz or whatever then, out of warranty work it was "that green stuff"

By under warranty do you mean: "The 3 year / 30k miles free service" even if the car has extended warranty of 7 years 100k miles? Or do they use it anytime I bring the car to them as long as it's within the 7 year / 100k miles?

Volvo dealers are among the most ignorant when it comes to oil.

Many of Volvo's reliability issues can be traced to the stupidity of Volvo dealers, who are notorious for using the wrong specification oil in the warranty, and non-warranty, Volvo cars. In 2001-2005, Volvo dealers were using bulk Castrol, which didn't meet Volvo's own specifications, because Volvo North America told them to!!

Actual conversations with a Volvo service advisor:

"You can't use synthetic in that turbo car, it causes the turbo to leak, that's why we use regular oil"

"You don't want that 0W40, it's way too thick, PLUS, it's too thin on start up, there's no way for the pump to build pressure with a zero viscosity, you'll wear out your turbo with that oil."

So are there any additives that might bring it closer to spec just in case the dealer used the wrong oil? Since well every car after 2010 will last 75k to 90k miles even when ran with dollar store oil. It's what happens after that (when the warranty runs out) that I care about.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
"You don't want that 0W40, it's way too thick, PLUS, it's too thin on start up, there's no way for the pump to build pressure with a zero viscosity, you'll wear out your turbo with that oil."

And people wonder why so many BITOGers are paranoid about dealerships touching the oil.
wink.gif

Castrol is factory fill and is recommended for continued use by Volvo. They have a joint testing program. So, Castrol might be your answer.

Here's a video from Australia. LINK

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Castrol is factory fill and is recommended for continued use by Volvo. They have a joint testing program. So, Castrol might be your answer.

And from my dealer experience, Volvo says "Castrol synthetic meeting ACEAA5/B5"

And the dealer hears, "cheapest bulk Castrol you can find"

I think its amazing that dealers can supply their own oil that doesnt meet manufacturers specs. At Mercedes circa 2002, we had M1 0/40 by the drum, and then the boutique oils over the counter in the MB bottle. At BMW in 2006, it was all BMW 5/30, the older cars got the BMW 15.40 and the new Ms got the 10/60. Nothing other than what was specified n the BMW bottle. And, sadly enough, it was all by the individual quart! So much waste! at one point there was 45 techs working there, and most cars took between 7-8 quarts, plus it was all free under the maintenance plan.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Fine OK I LOVE her accent and I will [censored] her for that poached egg the problem is: A5/B5 Castrol oil is nowhere to be found in the USA stores....so yeah I would use it if I could purchase it!

Originally Posted By: Audios
I think its amazing that dealers can supply their own oil that doesnt meet manufacturers specs. At Mercedes circa 2002, we had M1 0/40 by the drum, and then the boutique oils over the counter in the MB bottle. At BMW in 2006, it was all BMW 5/30, the older cars got the BMW 15.40 and the new Ms got the 10/60. Nothing other than what was specified n the BMW bottle. And, sadly enough, it was all by the individual quart! So much waste! at one point there was 45 techs working there, and most cars took between 7-8 quarts, plus it was all free under the maintenance plan.

Sure it was more expensive, but the vehicles (BMW or MB) were proportionately more expensive than a comparable run-of-the-mill Volvo.

coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
And the dealer hears, "cheapest bulk Castrol you can find"

Or VW/Audi North America not distinguishing between Castrol 0w-30 A3/B4 and Castrol 0w-30 ILSAC, or worse, ordinary GTX.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back