Windows 10 lag question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, somewhat recently purchased a new laptop (Asus Predator Helios 300 with i7700 quad core, tons of ram, GeForce 1060, SSD) and its been great. More recently I noticed some lagging issues during regular desktop operations. A little bit when opening a new tab in firefox, a variable amount when opening a new windows program and a very noticeable amount when opening the desktop context menu. I've updated my graphics and network drivers and made sure my apps and windows is up to date. Ran windows defender deep scan and besides, I don't really do anything too risky on this machine.

Google brings up all type of similar issues but nothing identical and many of the fixes and such appear to be tailored for slower machines. Mine is not. In fact it still boots up in a blink of an eye from cold off. Any thoughts or suggestions? Also noticed some (but far from all) website are experiencing extended load times, especially facebook. Not a network issue as I still pull a nice speed test and other devices on the network are not affected.

I've noticed that over time Win 10 will get sluggish after a week or so uptime or after a heavy usage session where I peg the system. Similar things as you. Happens on both my i7 laptop and my Ryzen 7 Uber-system.

I've found a reboot or logout/login to fix it up.

You may also want to update the rest of your drivers - Intel chipset, BIOS, etc.

I think the software update solution to the Meltdown and Spectre issue is causing lag and weird lag moments on even the newest Intel CPU's.
Microsoft revealed how the updates can slow down your PC, but they claim the older CPU's are affected much more than the newest ones.
Even though this is an Intel and to a lesser extent, an AMD issue, I feel that Microsoft is only reporting the best case scenario for the average user.
The reason Microsoft is reporting this soft is that they don't want to do anything to future hurt Windows equipped PC sales which is happening
in the industrialized world as more and more people simply have an Android or iOS phone or tablet for their computer needs.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I think the software update solution to the Meltdown and Spectre issue is causing lag and weird lag moments on even the newest Intel CPU's.
Microsoft revealed how the updates can slow down your PC, but they claim the older CPU's are affected much more than the newest ones.
Even though this is an Intel and to a lesser extent, an AMD issue, I feel that Microsoft is only reporting the best case scenario for the average user.
The reason Microsoft is reporting this soft is that they don't want to do anything to future hurt Windows equipped PC sales which is happening
in the industrialized world as more and more people simply have an Android or iOS phone or tablet for their computer needs.

That pretty much sums my opinions about the Meltdown and Spectre issues.

Any chance you are using MalwareBytes? There was a recent bug that was causing high CPU usage and other havoc.

Many of us are not computer-savvy.
What I don't like about Malwarebytes is it's non description of what it catches. When I hover over the file name with the mouse, it tells me nothing.
There were four files or registry items it caught yesterday that only had numbers as file or registry names.
I can't risk removing those, not without knowing what's inside them.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Many of us are not computer-savvy.
What I don't like about Malwarebytes is it's non description of what it catches. When I hover over the file name with the mouse, it tells me nothing.
There were four files or registry items it caught yesterday that only had numbers as file or registry names.
I can't risk removing those, not without knowing what's inside them.

I didn't say run it, I asked if he was using it because it has known problems in one of the versions that was released recently?

So interesting finding. When my VPN is active, both youtube and facebook load normally and as expected. When its off they demonstrate extended EXTENDED load times. Of course, this does not affect my right-click menu lag.

Originally Posted By: buck91
So interesting finding. When my VPN is active, both youtube and facebook load normally and as expected. When its off they demonstrate extended EXTENDED load times. Of course, this does not affect my right-click menu lag.

What are you using for DNS servers?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Defaults

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Defaults

Try changing them to OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220 and see if that affects what you are seeing.

Bump. Problem persists with OpenDNS. Still resolves when switched to VPN. I also have a nice WRT32X wifi router (which I found if I turn KILLER off it works better). The windows lag problem seems to have improved to the point where I can live with it but the slow websites is getting worse.

Your VPN may have a different MTU than your normal connection. Can you drop your MTU down on your router and see if that improves it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back