Why is Honda 0W-20 so expensive? Cost at dealer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's almost double the cost of what I'd pay for a 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 & Fram Ultra filter.

I really wanted to have the dealer service my wife's new HR-V, but I can't imagine what they'd charge if the cost for the fluids/filter are around $60 alone online. Does anyone know what an oil/filter change only typically run at a Honda dealer?

Most dealers charge way too much for oil. Exception is Toyota, their 0w20 synthetic is very reasonably priced (at least it was the last time I bought it)

Originally Posted By: Patman
Most dealers charge way too much for oil. Exception is Toyota, their 0w20 synthetic is very reasonably priced (at least it was the last time I bought it)

I remember that being the case when I thought about getting Toyota oil for my xB. I just checked Honda's and I was taken a step back at how expensive it is!

Last edited:
It’s unlikely your Honda dealer will use Honda motor oil for a normal oil change. My Honda dealer uses Total products, my Acura dealer Castrol. If it’s important to you to have service done at your dealer check their prices; you may be pleasantly surprised.

Importantly, there’s nothing magic about Honda’s engine oil and you sacrifice nothing by using an equivalent product. That said, asking the dealer what oil they use, what viscosity and whether it’s a blend or full synthetic is prudent.

Last edited:
If you really feel like you need Honda brand oil, here’s a dealer that sells it for a reasonable price. Either DIY it or carry the oil into your dealer or any mechanic and pay them for labor only. The crush washer on the oil pan drain bolt is supposed to be changed every time and Bernardi thoughtfully includes one with each oil filter purchase.

https://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-Motor-Oils__08798-90XX.aspx

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_A_G
Originally Posted By: Patman

I remember that being the case when I thought about getting Toyota oil for my xB. I just checked Honda's and I was taken a step back at how expensive it is!

I'm not sure why you should be taken aback by any prices at the dealership. They don't call them stealerships for nothing.

There is a reason many of us call dealers "stealer ships". They have these big fancy buildings and show rooms that they must heat and cool, and then dozens of employees on the payroll so they are not above padding and overcharging everything they can. Only time I will go to a dealer is for "free Recall work" I last went in for the Takata airbags on both Honda and Hyundais. About 10 years ago I did go to a local honda to replace a heater core and they charged an extra $25.00 for "shop supplies" when asked what it was and the service manager could not give me an answer other than "humman humana" I went to the gen manager and they refunded the $25.00. I suspect they jack up oil prices just like they jack up everything else. I dont know what an OC would run at a dealer and they probably would try and upsell. If not changing your own oil the best bet would be find a reliable independent shop. Wal mart probably has the cheapest oil prices , but I loath wal marts so dont mind spending a little more at NAPA or a farm store like TSC.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I'm not sure why you should be taken aback by any prices at the dealership. They don't call them stealerships for nothing.

I was talking about the actual oil that Honda sells, not what a dealership charges to complete the service. It's over $10/quart which is insane.

"shop supplies" like the paperwork fees dealers are charging
now are profit centers that USED to be considered cost of doing
business. The paper towels used to wipe up the anti-freeze for the
heater core change above or wiping grease off zerks on a HD pickup truck
are added to most all bills.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Who makes Honda oil? This might answer your question. LINK

Thanks for this info. I believe M1 was the prior maker but CP is now making it.

I've never used HGMO in any of my Hondas. I've also never been to a dealer service dept that actually uses HGMO.

Unless HGMO is sold in bulk, there's no dealership that would use it for a garden variety oil change, too expensive, esp. 0W20. It's hard enough getting them to use anything but bulk 5W30!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_A_G
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

I was talking about the actual oil that Honda sells, not what a dealership charges to complete the service. It's over $10/quart which is insane.

I was referring to parts and service at the dealership. There's no reason to be taken aback when seeing high prices at the parts counter. They're usually the most expensive place. Everyone else has to price it lower otherwise they'd just go to the dealer. Walmart is the #1 retailer so they typically have the best prices. A dealership has other expenses and a desire to make a bigger profit than Walmart so you shouldn't be surprised it's so expensive.

Just had mine done today at joe Morgan Honda in Monroe ohio. With their deal $49 total out door for 0w20 oil/filter and tire rotation. It snowed here last night. Too cold for me.

Same with Subaru. Last I checked, a Subaru dealership 0w20 oil and filter change was $60 and they'll put a 3mo/3000mi sticker on your w/s regardless of the manual's 6000mi OCI recommendation. The toyota dealership nearby sticks with their 10K mile OCI.

Last edited:
Last week I paid $6.49/qt for Toyota Synthetic Motor Oil which as most know has a cult following even for many who don't drive a toyota. The rumor is Mobil1 makes it but I cannot say for sure. I think the price is pretty reasonable, and I purchased a case of it at a Toyota Dealer.

Originally Posted By: CincyReds
Just had mine done today at joe Morgan Honda in Monroe ohio. With their deal $49 total out door for 0w20 oil/filter and tire rotation. It snowed here last night. Too cold for me.

Wow that seems pretty reasonable. Do you know what oil they used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back