ZDDP additive recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been considering adding some ZDDP to my older vehicles with flat tappets. These are an '87 Buick Grand National (3.8Turbo), 1966 Cadillac Deville (429V8) and 1932 Ford street rod with a '57 Thunderbird 312V8.

Any recommendations on brands or would a better idea be just run something like a Valvoline VR1 motor oil? I don't want to run a pure racing oil because I want all the additives to protect the engine in street use.

Last edited:
I didn't know Amsoil has a special classic car oil. I like the idea of VR1 because it's readily available at stores and is available as a synthetic also. I see SHELL is making a line of oils and additives called X-100 that includes oil with high ZDDP but rated I think SJ. The also sell ZDDP in a can to add to oil. I don't think I like the idea of running an out of date oil just to have oil the car ran "in it's day" nor do I feel comfortable adding ZDDP additives to an oil in case I upset the additive balance. So - I like the idea of modern oils with wear protection like VR1 or similar.

Thanks - I think I will first try the VR1 since I can get it easier than Amsoil.

Many, if not all, Full-synthetic heavy-duty engine oils come with roughtly 1200ppm zinc, and plenty of detergents for a long oil change interval. For what it's worth, Amsoil z-rod is good choice, as well as many motorcycle oils.
If you want to bump (or be able to bump) the zddp content up in a base oil, Lucas makes a break-in additive that is [claimed to be] 31,000ppm zinc*. If you try to keep under 1800ppm zinc, the amount of Lucas break-in oil additive should be 2% by volume if combined with a HDEO.

* Lucas Engine Break-In Oil Additive - TB Zinc Plus
From their website : " https://lucasoil.com/pdf/Zinc_Values_MotorcycleOil.pdf "

LUCAS Zinc-Plus Engine Break-in Oil Additive is the most economical ZDDP additive you can use. It comes in a 16 oz bottle. Adding 2 oz per 5 quarts of ANY motor oil will raise the ZDDP level by about 1000 PPM over what is already in the oil.
Be careful with ZDDP. A ZDDP level over about 1800 ppm is not beneficial, and more than 2200 PPM can actually be harmful. Also, if your vehicle has a catalytic converter, using this much ZDDP will destroy it in short order.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
LUCAS Zinc-Plus Engine Break-in Oil Additive is the most economical ZDDP additive you can use. It comes in a 16 oz bottle. Adding 2 oz per 5 quarts of ANY motor oil will raise the ZDDP level by about 1000 PPM over what is already in the oil.
Be careful with ZDDP. A ZDDP level over about 1800 ppm is not beneficial, and more than 2200 PPM can actually be harmful. Also, if your vehicle has a catalytic converter, using this much ZDDP will destroy it in short order.

CORRECTION... adding 4 oz of LUCAS to 5 quarts of motor oil raises the ZDDP level by 1000 ppm. My mistake, sorry. 2 oz is the amount that I personally add to the oil at every oil change in my collector car because the oil that I use already has 1200 ppm of ZDDP in it.

THANKS!! Tons of great advice. I will look into each recommendation and I appreciate the education on how too much ZDDP is not better.

31kAd5YFmYL._SL500_AC_SS350_.gif

81x7PW7ZvOL._SX355_.jpg

Real world data:

www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4669017/2001_Dodge_2500,_431k_miles,_2#Post4669017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back