All Moly is not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lubes n Greases
While many on this board are aware of moly, its many varieties and its advantages this article sheds further light on the fact that all molybdenum's are not the same.

Looking at the right hand chart, aged oil with that high performance moly actually improves on friction as it ages in the engine. Must be some plating happening on the surfaces.

Originally Posted By: TTK
1% improvement is probably not measurable by a car owner.
When there are millions of cars the % makes a huge savings when trying meet the corporate average fuel economy ratings which is not a bad thing.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Besides cost, I wonder why WS2 (tungsten-based FM) isn't used more compared to moly compounds. W is near moly on the periodic table and shares properties. Only one oil I know of has WS2.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4638150/1

Interesting article on the various ways moly can form compounds and be useful.

From what I was told by the people at Rosemill [they sell MOS2 and WS2], WS2 used in oil isn't as cost effective, and doesn't stay in suspension as well as MoS2. Those were two reasons they had given me when I bought a few pounds of it to coat bullets for competition.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
From what I was told by the people at Rosemill [they sell MOS2 and WS2], WS2 used in oil isn't as cost effective, and doesn't stay in suspension as well as MoS2. Those were two reasons they had given me when I bought a few pounds of it to coat bullets for competition.
Thats interesting. Some see black stuff settling down into Pennzoil (& others) bottles/jugs, so maybe its the moly particles.
It would be interesting if WS2 (tungsten compound) settles out of the LiquiMoly Molygen bottles/jugs. If it can set on a shelf for a month and not settle, then its not a problem.

When there are so many possible forms of moly compounds, its hard to tell if WS2 is worthwhile anymore. LiquiMoly makes some Molygen WS2 motor oil friction and wear claims, but they won't elaborate on them at all from what I've seen (too marketing-mysterious).

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2848828

Discussed back in 2012...that the "other" moly's form MoS2 platelets in the tribofilms, and that is requires partial breakdown of the additives to get there...thus my (half) joke about leaving "pre-conditioned" oil in the sump, or selling it as an "additive"

Mentioned it here too
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4605879/Re:_Plating_moly_in_engine_oil#Post4605879

But was apparently dissing Schaeffers at the time.

Additive breakdown is also a key player in the formation of Zn films too
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4177537/Re:_Chemical_analysis_of_tribo

Am trying to find the one that I posted where PTFE also forms plateletes in the phosphate glass tribofilms with the MoS2.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Thats interesting. Some see black stuff settling down into Pennzoil (& others) bottles/jugs, so maybe its the moly particles.
It would be interesting if WS2 (tungsten compound) settles out of the LiquiMoly Molygen bottles/jugs. If it can set on a shelf for a month and not settle, then its not a problem.

When there are so many possible forms of moly compounds, its hard to tell if WS2 is worthwhile anymore. LiquiMoly makes some Molygen WS2 motor oil friction and wear claims, but they won't elaborate on them at all from what I've seen (too marketing-mysterious).

Member Trav has first hand experience with Lubro Moly MOS2 falling out of suspension in a vehicle that wasn't driven on a daily basis and posted pics I believe. That was proof enough for me to stop using it. If you're looking to boost moly and want to use a moly that will stay in suspension look at Lubegard Bio Tech Engine Protectant. They don't use MOS2, their moly doesn't settle out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back