12 Nissan Titan high copper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, here’s my latest uoa from Blackstone. I haven’t done anything different on this oil than the other samples. No towing or off-roading or anything else that’s hard on oil. I’m not sure why the copper went so high on this sample. The sample at 45K was Mobil super synthetic 5w30 and the samples at 49k and 53k were both PP 5w30. This sample with the increased copper was Napa Synthetic 5w30 which is supposed to be very close to Valvoline super syn. I’m a little concerned that the copper increased by 6 times in this sample. It may not be a big deal but I’m a little OCD and worry about these things. I had collected this sample back in April but just got around to sending it in. It’s been in the Blackstone container since then. Maybe these 5.6’s prefer moly over sodium? What do you guys think? What parts of the engine are copper anyway?
Thanks!

I think the main & rod bearings have copper underneath the white metal . But if you were into the copper on the bearings , I would think you would see high numbers for other metals ?

Off hand , I can not think of other sources for copper , except the electrical system . And I do not know wgy the electrical system would be in contact with oil ? Maybe some copper gaskets ?

So , I was wondering the same question . Where is the copper coming from ?

Is copper used in the additive pack of some oils ?

Since you apparently switched oil brands (looking at moly levels), I would just keep an eye on it and not worry about it for now. Overall, your report looks fine.

Originally Posted By: 60ampfuse
Maybe these 5.6’s prefer moly over sodium?

Does the OEM Nissan branded oil have Moly in it? I highly doubt 50ppm of Moly in the oil = no cooper. Seems like a very insignificant amount to me.

If the PP was working so well for you, why did you change? No real cost savings between PP and Napa I'm sure (unless there was a sale)...? Even the Mobil Super gave really solid results.

Does the Titan have an oil cooler? Subarus especially that have oil coolers tend to show higher copper in UOAs because of this. Maybe the sodium is chelating the copper more than PP or Mobil (there ya go, Overkill
smile.gif
). I'd go back to PP if it was my truck.

6ppm is insignificant, I wouldn't worry unless it starts to trend up.

Does this engine have an oil cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back