5w20 vs 5w30 in kia 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting ready to change the oil on a 2012 kia sorento with the 2.4L inline-4. It has about 150k miles and my friend who drives it goes up and down a mountain everyday. Engine was rebuilt 20k miles ago. The manual recommends 5w20 OR 5w30 for all temps. I am thinking of getting castrol edge EP and a fram ultra for a 10k OCI. This OCI will extend into the summer months this year. Are there any benefits or downsides to using 5w30 instead of 5w20? Would it run hotter or take longer to get up to operating temp?

What oil grade was used before the rebuild? Your answer might lie there if the vehicle was properly maintained. I'd try a different grade than what was used prior, if he stuck to that grade. To need a rebuild after 130K miles doesn't sound too impressive to me, mountains or not.

I prefer 5w30 in those motors to be honest, esp if you are trying to do longer drains intervals.

And I would change it around 8k. I did a couple 10k oil changes on some 2.4 motors and the oil was worn more than I liked. That was with a lot of city driving but 8k is still my max recommendation.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
What oil grade was used before the rebuild? Your answer might lie there if the vehicle was properly maintained. I'd try a different grade than what was used prior, if he stuck to that grade. To need a rebuild after 130K miles doesn't sound too impressive to me, mountains or not.

That engine has some issues. There is an extended warranty on it for a rebuild.
May not have anything to do with the oil used.

If it’s a direct injection engine I’d go with the 5w-30 to provide a little viscosity margin given their fuel dilution tendencies.

Originally Posted By: Iowegian
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

That engine has some issues. There is an extended warranty on it for a rebuild.
May not have anything to do with the oil used.

I've been out of the Kia loop since I stopped selling them years ago. I wasn't a fan then, and I'm still not a fan.. Yes for it to require a rebuild after 130k there must be issues. I'd still be curious as to what grade oil was used prior to the rebuild.

5w30, and preferably sell it to someone that will put about 5K a year on it in the rust belt so it succumbs to corrosion before the engine gives out again. I wasn't a fan of Kia/Hyundai before but after learning more about the bottom end failures in the Theta II engines I'm particularly turned off.

Add me to the 5W-30 crowd. That is always what I hear recommended for these engines.

It used 5w20 conventional its whole life before the rebuild. And she always used the cheapest oil and forgot to change it in time. This was before I learned about oil on here, so I wasn't able to give her any oil advice, besides to not run conventional 8-10k lol.

5w-30 in a name brand Synthetic at 5k intervals would be completely acceptable. If you don't want to use 5w-20. 5w-20 will yield an immeasurable increase in fuel mileage. You likely will not notice the difference. The only other thing I can offer is that 20 weight oil flows better, allowing the flow of oil to cool the main and rod bearings more efficiently, and the variable valve timing to react quicker to commands from the PCM, due to the fact that the oil must flow through the head, through the oil control valves, and then finally to the cam phasers. Probably a negligible difference, but physics dictates higher flow rates equal better cooling and faster flow to variable valve timing components.

In the end you are not likely to glean a measurable difference either way with a 5k interval. Do what makes you happy and content.

I've used both on my mom's 07 Optima with the 2.4. Not sure if it's the Theta II, but it doesnt seem to care what we throw in it. She does, however, stick to 3k intervals.

Originally Posted By: ZraHamilton
Would the 5w30 be safer for a 10k oci?

Don't do a 10k OCI on a Kia or Hyundai Theta II engine.

Originally Posted By: ZraHamilton
Would the 5w30 be safer for a 10k oci?

Stick with the factory recommended 7500 mile max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back