'17 Wranglers all gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day I got to daydreaming about replacing the Cruze and realized Jeep changed the Wrangler for '18 - so surely any 2-door 2017's left would be discounted big time. I can't afford for my car payment to go up (Cruze was $18.2K for 6 years) but if I could find a real basic JK (the $24,000 kind) marked down 6-8 grand, with trade-in it might work out. But looking on the websites of dealerships in the region the handful (half a dozen, maybe) of new 2017's show some "rebates" but are still $26K and up.

Does Chrysler just know the Wranglers have crazy resale value so they refuse to discount them as much as old-year passenger cars get marked down? Do old MY low-optioned rigs sometimes get pulled out of dealerships' inventory and sold somewhere else?

Last edited:
There are very few JK sport base models. Most are Sport "S" or higher trim levels optioned out and a good 80% are auto trans pushing the MSRP north of $27-28k. You wont find much more than 2-3K off MSRP. Lots of the 17s are gone because not a lot of JK owners are keen on the new JL, especially given the weaker axle selections on the non-Rubi JLs.

I know my 2015 JKU sport has literally gone stagnant in value. The first 1.5-2 years it dropped but it has virtually leveled off. And I can almost 100% recoup all of my modification costs too. Not that I would though. You'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
wink.gif

I'm going to be a little harsh, so bear with me.
$6-8K off a $24K base Wrangler because it's a left over 2017 model, good luck.

The issue with the Wrangler is also what makes it such a great vehicle if you want to buy one: It's a very customizable vehicle.
The 2017 was even easier to customize than the 2018 model. The 2017 had 13 models to choose from! On top of that, you could cherry pick all sorts of options.
Is was like ordering a new big three car in the 1960's where you a million different configurations to pick from.
But Americans want it NOW. They don't wanna wait, so they hope to find the vehicle they want in the area they live in. many times, people don't exactly buy the exact car they want new. A lot of Jeep dealers have a lot of Jeeps sitting around not being sold. It's called lot rot. They have the huge inventory
hoping that someone that wants a Jeep NOW, finds one he/she wants to buy. The 2018 Jeep Wrangler isn't as configurable as the earlier ones.

Look at this and remember there are a lot of things you can add or change within each model.

Not at all - I know very little about the variables at play here so educate away.

It's not surprising that none left on lots are base-base models. For the dealership to intentionally have the plain Jane of plain Janes on the lot is pointless - less profit, less bling, all of it. Have the money tied up in something that 95% of potential buyers will want: A/C, A/T, upgraded stereo, body-color fenders, etc. I was optimistic that they'd discount their premier, iconic SUV like they discount mid-size sedans but I'm not surprised they don't.

I know you're down south, but Zimmer Dodge/Jeep up here in Florence has a TON of Jeeps on their lot-might be worth asking them. Might be worth a road trip.

I was looking at 2017s and 2018s, they don't really discount them because they don't need to. Plus, this is confusing but a 2018 could be a JK (old body style) or a JL (new body style). So you'd think they'd budge on the 2018 JKs.

I rarely see JKs on sale. Before I got my current truck I looked for one. All MSRP. Even now, they probably don't feel the need to reduce the price of the JK further, considering they are already cheaper than the JL. I think the base JL is something like $3500 more than the outgoing base JK.

So seeing that, the JK is already "discounted" compared to the JL.

I like the new JL quite a bit, but the pricing is pretty wild.

I bought a new 2017 JK Rubicon. Really fun and easy to park. Do a web search for what you want and offer what you are willing to pay. Be prepared to travel. Have fun shopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back