Better engine break in with a manual transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think manual trans vehicles have their rings broken in better due to the more significant engine braking or something along those lines.

My Dad and sister both have Dodge Neons, Dads being an 01 r/t 5 speed with 250k that will consume visibly no oil through a 10k oil run, sisters an 05 base model with 150k that takes about 1L per 5k driven.

Same goes for my truck with a 4.6L/manual, no oil loss in the 4k ive driven it. While my moms 02 f150/4.6L/auto uses also around 1L per 5k driven.

just a thought, Since these vehicles I believe to be common oil users. but maybe its just the upkeep of the owners.

It is easier to do compression braking, and hold gears longer with a stick during break in. But in all honesty you can get similar results with an automatic transmission if you give it some thought during the break in period. Having said that, there are many people who believe a modern engine requires no real break in. And another set of people believe the lot boys moving new cars around dealerships prior to delivery to the customer beat the [censored] out of them, and did the break in before the owner even sees the vehicle.

I think it does. Why? Because wit a manual tranny, just by driving normally, the engine will see higher RPM and compression braking. No extra thinking is required from the driver.

With automatic transmissions, as demarpaint pointed out, the driver has to be aware what need to be done to get higher RPM and compression braking, which means you are aware of engine break in, most people aren't.

Engines almost can't help but breaking in. The gas pedal has the most influence helping with the breakin process.

If auto-trans drivers would learn to use the shift lever and downshift once in a while, they'd engine brake too! It's the nut behind the wheel that will make some small difference ...

But, unless it's a "new" 1950's engine (or earlier), the rings are seated by 500 miles no matter what.

Now, for those that don't ever wind and engine, the ring ridge may be formed too low ... So the next owner may pop a top ring when he/she buys it used, and starts driving it for real
57.gif

Last edited:
One could argue the opposite as well (AT's better), but I don't see any data to show that one or the other does a better job at Rin-In.

Manual may not get stuck rings as easy.but that’s about it. My Mazda has 50k and uses a quart of oil every 3k Miles or so. It has a manual transmission. My truck has a manual and uses no oil with no oil loss over an oil interval and it has 248k.

OP, I was of the opinion that cars with manual transmissions burn more oil because of the engine braking, and it certainly has been my experience. And now you post this... just when I thought I had it figured out.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Engines almost can't help but breaking in. The gas pedal has the most influence helping with the breakin process.

This one.

Some modern automatics downshift to use engine braking though it’s not as obvious as when done with a manual. My Mazda downshifts all the time when slowing.

I dont think it matters.

FWIW the subaru FB25 engines that had oil burning.. the MT vehicles were a way higher % with the issue vs the auto

The op's question is like asking what is the best oil to get my engine to 1 million miles when the rest of the car falls apart at 150000 miles.

Its an answerable question but not super relevant to real world.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
OP, I was of the opinion that cars with manual transmissions burn more oil because of the engine braking, and it certainly has been my experience. And now you post this... just when I thought I had it figured out.

The OP theory does not conflict with your opinion.
Engine braking can cause a broken in engine to use more oil AND engine braking can help the break in process.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
If auto-trans drivers would learn to use the shift lever and downshift once in a while, they'd engine brake too! It's the nut behind the wheel that will make some small difference ...

But, unless it's a "new" 1950's engine (or earlier), the rings are seated by 500 miles no matter what.

Now, for those that don't ever wind and engine, the ring ridge may be formed too low ... So the next owner may pop a top ring when he/she buys it used, and starts driving it for real
57.gif

Yes, it's more knowledge and intent rather than tranny.

Acceleration and engine braking can be had with either transmission, just the manual it happens more often without intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back