Should I go 0w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the slightly trollish title but I was just thinking. Been running mostly 5w20 in my truck although sometimes I will go with 0w20 in the colder months. Approaching 100k and I do burn about 1qt every 3k miles. Running M1 most of the time and she is smooth and quiet. I have seen a ton of discussion on the truck forums and many people run xw30 in these trucks. Pretty much the same engine as the Boss which specs 5w50. Would there be any benefit to bumping to a 0w30 or 0w40 over my M1 5w20? I'm not thinking the cold performance would be a factor as I'm already plenty covered with the synthetic 5w in my locale but what about running at full temp on the highway or even light duty towing?

I have a similar issue in my Tahoe 5.3 with 125,000 miles. I’ve had good luck going to M1HM 5W-30. AFE 0W-30 burns off twice as fast.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
In a 5w20 engine I'd go to 5w30 before 0w40.
Why ?

Similar high calcium, higher moly/boron in the M1 and PP 0w-40. Both are in the hths 3.5-3.8 range. Last I checked the add pack in the M1 is a bit stouter. The 0w-40 Edge is a lower calcium, moderate magnesium blend. As far as Euro mfg specs the Edge has more than M1. Some of the PP 0w-40 brews (like SRT) have the fewest mfg approvals. They all go on sale at some point during the year. Let any bottle of motor oil sit long enough and it will probably have some of the add pack settle out.

The recent version of Mobil 1 0w-40 FS starts off with a 12.8 cSt visc at 100 deg C...really in between a 30 and 40 grade just after a little usage. Considering that some of the M1 and Edge 30 grades are in the 11.8-12.5 range....not much different than a 0w-40. Even plain old M1 5w-30 is at 11.1.

M1 0w40 is close to a thick 30 grade. I'd try it just to see if the consumption lessens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Might be useful to tell everyone the year, make, and engine for your truck, but generally if you’ve burning a quart every 3000, miles, going up one weight might help.

From his signature... 2011 F150 4x4 5.0L.

Burning a quart every 3k miles? Seems excessive for a 5.0. Try 5w30 or 0w40, but my guess is that won't help much.

Yet another Ford that's been run on 5w20 it's whole life that now has consumption. From what I saw with Crown Vics, consumption will go through the roof by 120k.

Try a run with 0w40, won't hurt a thing, I am betting you will like the way it starts and runs and consumption is likely to go down as well.

I got my Lincoln at 76k I'm sure it had 20 grades from new as well, it uses a little oil (not much, but the only car I have that uses any including a 191k Chevy). I'm hoping I got to it soon enough that it won't increase much.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Try it and see what happens. It’s not going to hurt anything and may reduce your consumption

Sure, why not ...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Yet another Ford that's been run on 5w20 it's whole life that now has consumption. From what I saw with Crown Vics, consumption will go through the roof by 120k.

Try a run with 0w40, won't hurt a thing, I am betting you will like the way it starts and runs and consumption is likely to go down as well.

I got my Lincoln at 76k I'm sure it had 20 grades from new as well, it uses a little oil (not much, but the only car I have that uses any including a 191k Chevy). I'm hoping I got to it soon enough that it won't increase much.

My thought also.

From my reading on Fords, there should be no issue/damage from changing grades. (agreeing with the Boss reference above)

I thought there another guy on here that was using 0w40 in a similar truck....

It makes you wonder doesn't it? I made the change from 5W20 to 5W30 in both my Jeeps, and I'm not looking back, even after all the 5W20 success stories I read from time to time here.

OP-Give 0W40 a shot, you have nothing to lose.

Last edited:
My daughter has a 2010 Ford Focus forthe first 57,000 miles I ran Chevron 5W-30 in it at 1 year and around 5,000 mile oil change intervals. Then I ran Magnetech 5W-20 That went did a 9,000+ oil change interval with the oil level barely below the full line on the dip stick with no added oil. There was one 500 mile freeway trip and the rest running around town and a 60 mile round trip commute to the big girl school. The latest oil change is Synpower with Maxife tech 5W-20? Any way the daughter can't tell the difference in any of the oil changes or the oil and the caluclated MPGs run the same 32 to25 mpgs with the driving she does.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Similar high calcium, higher moly/boron in the M1 and PP 0w-40. Both are in the hths 3.5-3.8 range. Last I checked the add pack in the M1 is a bit stouter. The 0w-40 Edge is a lower calcium, moderate magnesium blend. As far as Euro mfg specs the Edge has more than M1. Some of the PP 0w-40 brews (like SRT) have the fewest mfg approvals. They all go on sale at some point during the year. Let any bottle of motor oil sit long enough and it will probably have some of the add pack settle out.

The recent version of Mobil 1 0w-40 FS starts off with a 12.8 cSt visc at 100 deg C...really in between a 30 and 40 grade just after a little usage. Considering that some of the M1 and Edge 30 grades are in the 11.8-12.5 range....not much different than a 0w-40. Even plain old M1 5w-30 is at 11.1.

I have the 5.0 in my 2012 and am currently running 5w30...but honestly after reading this it really has my interest peaked in trying mobil 0w40. It's a stout oil and imo would be worth trying.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

It makes you wonder doesn't it? I made the change from 5W20 to 5W30 in both my Jeeps, and I'm not looking back, even after all the 5W20 success stories I read from time to time here.

It doesn't make me wonder as hundreds of thousands of CVs and Merc GMs are performing quite well on 20wt oils. Many well over 120K.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
KCJeep said:

It doesn't make me wonder as hundreds of thousands of CVs and Merc GMs are performing quite well on 20wt oils. Many well over 120K. [/quote

Originally Posted By: tig1
It doesn't make me wonder as hundreds of thousands of CVs and Merc GMs are performing quite well on 20wt oils. Many well over 120K.

There are probably just as many living on 5w-30 too, especially after they reach 75K-100K miles. All I know is that the 4.6L was originally designed (1990's) by Ford engineers to run on 5w-30. That's good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back