0w20 oil for 2016 Volvo

Just purchased a 2016 Volvo XC60 with a 2 liter 4 cylinder 302HP turbo/supercharged engine.
Recommended oil is 0w20 and oil change intervals are 10k miles.
The oil weight & interval just doesn’t feel right to me.
To top it off the oil level is electronically checked, no dip stick so I can’t even see or feel the oil between my fingers!
The little things that allowed us to care about our cars with a passion are becoming obsolete.
Maintenance now requires high tech (expensive) tools that limit what old wrenches like me can perform.
Your thoughts on today’s technology??
Nice car BUT!!
90cummins

Very nice rig. You did know about the non-dipstick and such before you bought?

I am usually one to go with what the manufacturer specified for oil but I would check with Volvo just to make sure. With a turbo and supercharged engine I question the 0w-20.

Maybe some Volvo experts can chime in?

Your vehicle requires a very specific type of 0W20. The oil must be approved for the VCC RBS0-2AE spec. In the US, Castrol Edge Professional V is the only product that is approved for this spec.

Originally Posted By: Volvo site

Full synthetic engine oil meeting the minimum ACEA A5/B5 must be used. Lower quality oils may not offer the same fuel economy, engine performance, or engine protection.

Originally Posted By: Volvo site

Extreme engine operation
SAE 0W-30 oil meeting ACEA A5/B5 requirements is recommended for extreme driving conditions.

IMPORTANT
4-cylinder engines only: Volvo oil VCC RBS0-2AE/SAE 0W20 is recommended for extreme driving conditions.

This oil must never be used in 5- or 6-cylinder engines.

I'd grab AFE M1 0W30 and be happy.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Your vehicle requires a very specific type of 0W20. The oil must be approved for the VCC RBS0-2AE spec. In the US, Castrol Edge Professional V is the only product that is approved for this spec.

Im guessing it is only available at the dealer and the price per qt is very $$$$

Originally Posted By: Ducati996
Just purchased a 2016 Volvo XC60 with a 2 liter 4 cylinder 302HP turbo/supercharged engine.
Recommended oil is 0w20 and oil change intervals are 10k miles.
The oil weight & interval just doesn’t feel right to me.
To top it off the oil level is electronically checked, no dip stick so I can’t even see or feel the oil between my fingers!
The little things that allowed us to care about our cars with a passion are becoming obsolete.
Maintenance now requires high tech (expensive) tools that limit what old wrenches like me can perform.
Your thoughts on today’s technology??
Nice car BUT!!
90cummins

Oil dipstick is controversy among Euro manufacturers. Some claim it is cost cutting some that helps with pressure issues and achieving emission standards. I would say it is cost cutting issue. For example one of the reasons why I bought X5 35d instead of gas is oil dipstick.
Mercedes has oil dipstick in new engines as well as all Japanese manufacturers and as far as I know American.
As for 0W20, it is in order to achieve fleet MPG. Check on www. mobil1.de what oil is required in Europe for that engine. Usually in Europe engines are specd. for heavier oils.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Im guessing it is only available at the dealer and the price per qt is very $$$$

Nope, there are manufactrers out there.

Volvo have specified a higher HTHS for their 20s than the US or Japanese manufacturers.

There might be a solution to easily add a dipstick?

I added a dipstick to my wifes Audi A4 as soon as she bought it. There was a plug, easily removed for dealers that suck out oil instead of draining. Removed it and installed an OEM dipstick I got at a dealer for $32.

skyactive, very cool you actually added a dipstick. Never heard of that one.

Ducati996 (the OP): See https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3978754/1 and in there bobbydavro has inside knowledge at Castrol.

It appears Volvo wants the HTHS viscosity to be greater than 2.75 which some 0w20's don't have.
I do think Mobil1 AFE 0w30 would be good though, since its got a little extra HTHS and KV100, but not much more (only 10% more is all), leaving some room for possible shearing and fuel dilution that might happen to an unkown extent. (Seal compatibility of M1 AFE 0w30 would be fine since they test dexos1 oils for a ton of different seals, those in SN plus extra ones for dexos1, and its a worldwide spec.)

Also, if you wanted to be absolutely sure you were keeping your warranty intact with THE right oil, there are several more expensive options.
Google either and/or:
1. Volvo Oil Change Kit 0W-20
and/or 2. RBS0-2AE 0w20 oil
and Amazon, eBay, euro parts websites, etc. have several different brands available.
NAPA autoparts can order LiquiMoly oil, one option.
Not super cheap like M1 walmart jugs, but OK.

Volvo probably runs an intelligent oil life monitor (OLM) algorithm like many engines these days.
It might not be exactly 10k miles. For short trip driving, I wouldn't go more than 6 months (any miles), but the OLM should alert you on the dash when to change it.
Nice thing about the no-dipstick situation is that it will tell you if your oil level is a tad low. Nice automatic feature really since it'll catch a small leak before it gets too low.
Just be sure not to overfill the sump. If you DIY, put in enough to get it to the lowest most level, and gradually add up to the full line over a month or two more after the oil change.

DIY oil changes should be easy on this Volvo. Look for a youtube video on your engine to be sure there aren't any weird-unusual steps to follow.

One DIY trick to nudge the viscosity up a little, adding some margin, is to put in the RBS0-2AE 0w20 oil, with one quart missing, and keep topping up with 0w40 of the same brand as your RBS0-2AE 0w20 oil you choose. That way your receipts would show Volvo you put in the right oil, but you added a small visc margin for hot weather, fuel dilution, VII shearing, and/or hard driving.

Originally Posted By: NothingNew
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Why? The 0W-30 AFE doesn't meet the Volvo spec nor is it A5/B5. If you want to use Mobil 1 I'd suggest 5W-30 EP which is A1/B1 and A5/B5.
No, M1 EP 5w30 isn't A5/B5. ... Valvoline full-syn 5w30 is A5/B5. Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 is too. Those would work. A little extra visc probably wouldn't hurt the engine. Volvo uses the word "recommended" when they mention their 0w20 weight, so maybe you could run any A5/B5 xw30 and be fine on warranty claims.
15127437336_38fbe42470_b.jpg

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Why? The 0W-30 AFE doesn't meet the Volvo spec nor is it A5/B5. If you want to use Mobil 1 I'd suggest 5W-30 EP which is A1/B1 and A5/B5.
No, M1 EP 5w30 isn't A5/B5. ... Valvoline full-syn 5w30 is A5/B5. Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 is too. Those would work. A little extra visc probably wouldn't hurt the engine. Volvo uses the word "recommended" when they mention their 0w20 weight, so maybe you could run any A5/B5 xw30 and be fine on warranty claims.
15127437336_38fbe42470_b.jpg

Hmmm, I was going by the Mobil 1 PDS which shows Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 meets or exceeds the requirements of ACEA A1/B1 and A5/B5: https://www.mobil.com/english-us/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/glxxmobil-1-extended-performance

Hmmm, I was going by the Mobil 1 PDS which shows Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 meets or exceeds the requirements of ACEA A1/B1 and A5/B5: https://www.mobil.com/english-us/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/glxxmobil-1-extended-performance
They had A5/B5 back about 4 years ago. They dropped A5/B5 off the bottles, jugs, and their website. Its a mistake on the spec PDS sheet ; happens all the time. ... I'd trust what's on the bottles-jugs because they have to be right on those. https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-extended-performance and https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf and https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51QFlStfa0L.jpg

All that said, really if an oil meets dexos1, its good enough to be A5/B5, with the possible exception of shear stability. You'll see if you look at the performance tests.

Just for S&G I checked AMSOIL's site and they are showing to use Signature series 5w-30. Also this is posted below that.

Viscosities:
Below 104 F .0W-30 SAE 5W-30 will provide good fuel economy and engine protection under normal driving conditions. Volvo oil VCC RBS0-2AE/SAE 0W20 is recommended for extreme driving conditions.
-30 To 40....5W-30 SAE 5W-30 will provide good fuel economy and engine protection under normal driving conditions. Volvo oil VCC RBS0-2AE/SAE 0W20 is recommended for extreme driving conditions.
Capacities: With filter 5.7 quarts After refill check oil level.
Torques: Oil Drain Plug...28 ft/lbs
Notes: (1) Synthetic oil is required.

This set up makes me love my 240's even more. I didn't think that was possible. I get anxious just thinking about what the dealer charges for an oil change.

Sam

Last edited:
Back