Holden VF Commodore

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the weekend so I thought I'd bring up something completely different. Let's talk about the 2017 Holden VF Commodore in honor of our Aussie friends. The Holden VF Commodore was one of the last hot muscle cars made in Australia by Holden, an affiliate of GM. The car was imported into the US as the Chevrolet SS. The engine was a 408 HP LS.

I don't own one but tried to find a Commodore owners manual. Couldn't find one but I did find one for a Chev SS. I was looking up the recommendation for the oil weight, knowing Oz is the land of high vis oil. The manual refers to section 11-7 for oil weight. Section 11-7 refers to section 10-7 for info on the oil weight. Section 10-7 refers back to section 11-7 for oil weight. Is this how they do it in Australia? The only hint was to use a Dexos 1 oil. Can anyone shed some light on what Commodore wanted the owners to use for oil weight?

SF
04.gif

Dexos 1 5W30 for all engines... from the 3.0L V6 all the way to the HSV GTS-R and its 636 HP LS9. The HSV owners manuals have a little bulb in the chart that says "HSV recommends Mobil 1"

8 quarts too. I was really close to buying an SS. I wanted a Slipstream Blue manual but the dealer close to he had a black automatic for 25% off MSRP. I couldn't rationalize buying it though and keeping both my Mustangs without buying a truck first.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
The manual refers to section 11-7 for oil weight. Section 11-7 refers to section 10-7 for info on the oil weight. Section 10-7 refers back to section 11-7 for oil weight. Is this how they do it in Australia?

The same person must have written the Australian Taxation Act.

Back when mates had LS1 V8s then Castrol Edge 10W60 was all the rage. Some ran Magnatec 10W40, some SynPower 5W40, some M1 0W40 and some Penrite HPR, but Castrol Edge 10W60 was the big oil to use back then.

Now days it will be a 5W30 Dexos1 oil. We don't really do 20 grade Dexos oil here. If you want to step it up a notch, most GM-Holden owners will use a high HTHS Dexo2 5W40 oil. Here Dexos2 is considered a diesel engine oil or a high performance petrol (gas) engine oil. It seems GM-Australia is OK with this.

Here is a new full synthetic Castrol Magnatec DX 5W40 that is API SN, ACEA C3 and Dexos2. That should hit the spot.
(Magnatec DX 5W40)

A popular Dexos1 oil is Valvoline SynPower DX-1 5W30
(Oz SynPower PDF)

For more Holden Info, try here
http://www.ls1.com.au/

Don't forget the wombat grease on your suspension.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Dexos 1 5W30 for all engines... from the 3.0L V6 all the way to the HSV GTS-R and its 636 HP LS9. The HSV owners manuals have a little bulb in the chart that says "HSV recommends Mobil 1"

Yep, that'd be about it, although I'd wager most of them run 10w40, just because it's cheaper. Remember, the bulk of Commodores sold here were the fleet spec poverty pack 3.0 V6, they were nothing special at all, whereas in the US they're obviously something a little bit unusual.

Most Holden dealers have Dexos 2 5w-30 in their tanks and will use it in everything, petrol and diesel. light diesel are popular and it prevents techs miss-filling. Some Holden dealers just keep on using 10w-30 in gasers as they have done for 15+ years.

With the intro of dexos 1 GenII however, this will all change.

There are about 5 different Valvoline 5W30 oils on the market. So unless he's being more specific, it could be anything. Ashland Corp. do blend Valvoline oils used in Australia, in Australia.

Shell Australia recommend their DEXOS2 blends (Helix Ultra: ECT-C3 or AG,) both 5W30

GTS 6.2i HSV GEN-F (VF) (LSA (VIN 8 = P)) (GTS) (P) (2013-2015)
Application Recommendation Capacity (ltr) Data Sheets
Engine (P) Premium Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W-30 7.6
Standard Helix Ultra ECT C3 5W-30.

Same stuff goes in my Saab 9-5, as that's the updated spec.

regards
Jordan

Jordon,

I'll check my invoice re the Valvoline oil as they recently did a complimentary service on my car when I had other work done.

Just checked the service invoice for one of my clients - Holden 2016 SS-V - dealerused what is described as Castrol MAG MPDX 5w/30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: juggernaut

Just checked the service invoice for one of my clients - Holden 2016 SS-V - dealerused what is described as Castrol MAG MPDX 5w/30.

That's probably the Castrol Magnatec Professional, which is Dexos1 and 5W30.
(Magnatec DX 5W30 PDF )

The Magnatec DX 5W40 I linked to above is Dexos2.
(Magnatec DX 5W40 PDF )

Both good oils and both suitable for the job.

Talking of higher vis oil - my brother has been using Castrol Edge 10w/60 in his twin turbo 6.0 litre LS2 powered Commodore Ute for the last 11 or so years. So far so good
smile.gif
......and BP Vanellus 15w/40 in his 23 old Holden 5.0 Litre HSV Maloo Ute.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back