M1 vs Penzoil 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve decided to switch to 0w-40 at the end of this OCI.

I was going to go with M1 0w-40 but just learned that Penzoil is on rebate.

Are there any significant differences between these oils?

Peace of mind mostly. I sometimes wind it out all the way to triple digits and I don’t think that 0w-20 is enough. 10w-30 HM has the 3.5 HTHS but I wanted to keep the 0w so 0w-40

Plus I’m curious to see how it does on 0w-40

For most of my driving the 0w-20 is fine

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I’ve decided to switch to 0w-40 at the end of this OCI.

I was going to go with M1 0w-40 but just learned that Penzoil is on rebate.

Are there any significant differences between these oils?

I wouldn't use the PP 0w40 from reading bout gunk in bottles. Heard of a case of this again yesterday. No SOPUS for me; go with M1 0w20 AFE also

Peace of mind mostly. I sometimes wind it out all the way to triple digits and I don’t think that 0w-20 is enough. 10w-30 HM has the 3.5 HTHS but I wanted to keep the 0w so 0w-40

So how is the engine after 173K with a 20wt?

Gotta question why go up two grades?
I can see going to M1 AFE 0w30, or even better, with that ageing engine, go with a full synthetic High Mileage oil 5w30. One grade up, no more.
A 0w40 would do fine though, since they are known to shear down to a 30 after about 4k miles or so anyway. Add in some fuel dilution on top of it, and visc loss could be even greater. Go with the thinnest kv100 0w40 you find.

Originally Posted By: tig1

So how is the engine after 173K with a 20wt?

I’ve never had it apart. It runs fine, I think it has a fair amount of blowby when it’s cold. I can hear the PCV valve clicking.

Let’s try to keep this thread on track shall we? I didn’t ask for viscosity recommendation, I named two oils and asked how they differ.

Let’s try to keep this thread on track shall we? I didn’t ask for viscosity recommendation, I named two oils and asked how they differ.
One has a yellow bottle. Otherwise, no diff. Thread done.

Triple digits aye? Better worry more about the popo than oil...LOL
5/20 should be fine. I use that weight in my snowblower and lawnmower with no problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Which Pennzoil 0w40? There are several different ones.

The Penzoil Platinum Euro 0w40 is the one I’ve seen at Walmart

They are both great oils. Your engine will never know any difference. Use the one you can get cheaper

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Which Pennzoil 0w40? There are several different ones.

The Penzoil Platinum Euro 0w40 is the one I’ve seen at Walmart

In that case, toss a coin or buy what's less expensive.

SilverFusion2010 said:

So how is the engine after 173K with a 20wt? [/quote

I’ve never had it apart. It runs fine, I think it has a fair amount of blowby when it’s cold. I can hear the PCV valve clicking.

I highly doubt your PCV valve is "clicking". That would be your injectors. Just stating facts

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: car51
SilverFusion2010 said:

So how is the engine after 173K with a 20wt? [/quote

I highly doubt your PCV valve is "clicking". That would be your injectors. Just stating facts

Not injectors. This is an intermittent relatively loud clicking or clapping kind of noise from the intake. Does it more when the engine is cold.

Maybe it’s EGR but I didn’t think that could be heard. I dunno

Originally Posted By: car51
I wouldn't use the PP 0w40 from reading bout gunk in bottles. Heard of a case of this again yesterday. No SOPUS for me; go with M1 0w20 AFE also

Gunk in the bottom of Pennzoil bottles ... Unbelievable, lol. It's not gunk, it's additive fallout. This has been discussed many times before. Boy, people certainly are easily swayed by what they see on the internet. I'm fast losing interest in all this. Just pick a motor oil and filter and be done with it, and move on to more important matters. It doesn't matter whether you choose Pennzoil or Mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back