Making a night vision camera from a regular camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember in the 1980s when camcorders first became popular.
I was a television repair tech and my buddy Bruce did the camcorders.
He had repaired a camcorder and was walking around the shop taping - I was operating a TV om my bench with the remote and the camera recorded the pulsing red LED in the transmitter.
We knew then that any camcorder would be a "night vision" camera with infrared light

I worked at Best Buy in the ‘90’s and everyone in the video department knew how to test remotes by pointing it into a camcorder. It would convert the IR to visible light.

Remove the IR filter from the image sensor? I remember doing this on an old Fuji Digicam. Used to use a piece of exposed film negative to filter out visible light. The resulting IR photos were awesome. The Fuji camera displayed IR as a bright pink colour, but set it to black and white and pictures were really cool.

Red apple

Blue flame

HWY 401 at dusk

Weeping Willows (foliage is really green)

OT heads up: New phone cameras like the new iPhone DO NOT use a physical IR filter, the IR is filtered out by logic. The reason is so that the iPhone can gather an (more accurate) IR image of your face for biometric purposes. Also, they plan to use it for DRM/Censorship where IR light pulsed from emitters at a live event (concert, crime scene [cop car light bar?] etc) that will instruct the camera device to disable (lock out) video recording without the user being able to detect the signal.

It's amazing on how intricate and compact that little camera was.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

with a couple of teenagers, I've been getting a whole lot more personal with the insides of mobile phones (and tablets) than I really want to.

The internal architecture is amazing.

Had to put a new micro USB port in the wife's KOBO ARC 7.
Needed 3 pairs of glasses to see the screws & fasteners.
Looked like 3 lbs of poop in a 1 lb bag
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

with a couple of teenagers, I've been getting a whole lot more personal with the insides of mobile phones (and tablets) than I really want to.

The internal architecture is amazing.

I find the physical pixel density on cell phone screens pretty amazing. My 5.2" diagonal (16:9 ratio) cell phone screen has about 700,000 pixels. If I scale that up to a 55" 16:9 screen TV it would be about 73 million pixels.

The next step in HDTVs is "8K" which is about 33 million pixels on a 16:9 screen. Just the processors needed to control 33M pixels seems impressive.

Also the sensor density on digital cameras have come a long ways. Any more resolution increases from today's tech seems to be striving for that last few percent in performance that most people won't see a difference in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back