Go-Pro Alternatives (action cameras)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for an action camera that will mainly be used for family vacation recording and trail riding. What I mean by trail riding is the camera will be mounted to a helmet while I drive my Honda side-by-side or Honda Rancher. Looking for something with a decent image stabilization, picture quality, battery life, etc. Doesn't have to be 4K but I would like a decent video quality.

Some of the brands I've found are Akaso, Campark, Fitfort, and Eken (all on Amazon.) Just looking to see if anyone here has any first-hand experience with any of these. Or should I just fork out the money and get the Go-Pro?

TIA.

A lot of them have the same hardware and are coming from the same factory in China but each company tweaks their firmware for a different image.

GoPros are largely overpriced when you realize how much marketing they do but they are THE standard so you'll be able to get replacement parts on the road with ease.

I would check youtube for samples from the cameras you intend to buy. Don't put too much weight on the 4K ability because a lot of them lie about being able to do that resolution. Focus more on the overall image and the dynamic contrast (when part of the image is dark, does the other half get really bright to overcompensate?).

Removable batteries are good if you will be out all day long. Also recording at higher resolutions does draw more battery power (along with image stabilization). So a lot of this stuff is dependent on how you use the camera and not necessarily an inherent feature/flaw.

I just bought a go pro knock off off Amazon for less than $50 with excellent reviews.

I had an SJCAM 1080 camera that was quite good. I think I paid $60 or 70 for it from B&H. I don't think any of them have great image stabilization unless you get optical ($$$$) or gimbal mount ($$$).

The quality was pretty good and battery life was good as well. Only reason I don't have it is because it fell off the kayak and is now at the bottom of a lake. I thought the waterproof housing would give me a few seconds of buoyancy but it sunk like a rock.

Take a look at this , seems too good to be true but has good reviews.

[quote【4K HD Action Camera】4k/24FPS,2K/30FPS,1920X1080/60FPS,640X480/240FPS,16M Image Resolution At Most and SONY179 8M COMS Sensor Can Support Both Photo and Video Recording.Updating the snap action record for more funny photograph.With a 2”(16:9) 1080P HD Screen, alternative rotation 70°/110°/140°/170°wide-angle lens and New Gravity Sensor protect Camera from shocking Show You an Awesome All-round Photographic Experience.
【30M /100 Feet Waterproof】A water-resistant case allows you to dive as deep as 30 m(100ft) under the water with the protect case, Perfect for capturing amazing Water Sports GamesLike Diving,Sswimming, Drifting, Surfing
【Sufficient Power Supply】 Comes With 900 MA Rechargeable Battery Enables lasting Record Up To 80 Minutes Every Time.With a voice prompt for low battery alert
【Built-in WiFi + Wireless Remote Control】: Features a Wireless Remote Control.Put the Remote Control On Your Wrist and Accqurie Ultra-convenient Control for Hiking,Biking, Skiing,Bungee.While Installing The Camera On Your Helmet. Wireless Range Up To 15m(49.2ft),USB Support TV Output
【 YOUR PERFECT PARTNER OF ALL KINDS OF SPORT GAMES】 Provide Protection Case, Rechargeable Battery,Tripod and A Middle Bag Case.Diving Mode will make your captures underwater more clearer.Suitable for All Kinds of Sports Game, as motorcycling, cycling, diving, Running, Skiing, Snorkeling, etc. Also Works with All GoPro Mounts and Accessories.][/quote]

I think your HTML link had too much to drink.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Take a look at this , seems too good to be true but has good reviews.

[quote【4K HD Action Camera】4k/24FPS,2K/30FPS,1920X1080/60FPS,640X480/240FPS,16M Image Resolution At Most and SONY179 8M COMS Sensor Can Support Both Photo and Video Recording.Updating the snap action record for more funny photograph.With a 2”(16:9) 1080P HD Screen, alternative rotation 70°/110°/140°/170°wide-angle lens and New Gravity Sensor protect Camera from shocking Show You an Awesome All-round Photographic Experience.
【30M /100 Feet Waterproof】A water-resistant case allows you to dive as deep as 30 m(100ft) under the water with the protect case, Perfect for capturing amazing Water Sports GamesLike Diving,Sswimming, Drifting, Surfing
【Sufficient Power Supply】 Comes With 900 MA Rechargeable Battery Enables lasting Record Up To 80 Minutes Every Time.With a voice prompt for low battery alert
【Built-in WiFi + Wireless Remote Control】: Features a Wireless Remote Control.Put the Remote Control On Your Wrist and Accqurie Ultra-convenient Control for Hiking,Biking, Skiing,Bungee.While Installing The Camera On Your Helmet. Wireless Range Up To 15m(49.2ft),USB Support TV Output
【 YOUR PERFECT PARTNER OF ALL KINDS OF SPORT GAMES】 Provide Protection Case, Rechargeable Battery,Tripod and A Middle Bag Case.Diving Mode will make your captures underwater more clearer.Suitable for All Kinds of Sports Game, as motorcycling, cycling, diving, Running, Skiing, Snorkeling, etc. Also Works with All GoPro Mounts and Accessories.]
[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back