5w-30 when 5w-20 is required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google lead me here and I appreciate the help.

2015 explorer limited. v6 (no eco). 25k miles. 5w-20 required.

story
Place an online order through autozone for 6 quarts of 5w-20 mobile one synthetic yesterday. Picked it up today to do the oil change. Running a bunch of errands to get ready for the game and not paying attention. Do the change, nice and clean and it's not until I go to dump the old oil back into the bottles that I noticed my 5 quarts was 5w-30... The single quart was the correct 5w-20. Receipt and order were both correct.

So I'm an engineer and anal about stuff (hence doing my own oil changes in upstate ny winter). Google shows mixed results stating mostly that i'll be ok. However it could reduce mileage, hp and cause extra wear. It also seems that newer cars have tighter specs. So I plan to go back to see if they'll refund me 6 new quarts. But curious if they don't what risk i'm in? I probably wouldn't care if just the single quart was off. How big a deal is this for the next 7.5k?

The 5w30 u used is probably resource conserving (a thin 30)
Currently running 5w30 in my families 5.4 which asks for 5w20
The engine sounds the same...no noticeable drop in fuel efficiency
Consumption decreased running 5w30 vs 5w20
Still getting about 17 mpg highway
The difference in kinematic viscosity of running an ilsac 5w20 and 5w30 is very small
9.0 ish to 10.x (m1 website says theirs is 11.0) at running temp.
I wouldnt worry but its ur vehicle

Your engine will not know the difference of a few tenths of a Cst. I use 10w30 in a Focus which recommends 5W20 and I use 5W30 in a Ram which recommends 5W30.

Absolutely nothing to worry about. I completely understand your concern and desire to work on your own vehicle. I'm the same way. I can show you lots of used oil analysis running everything from an SAE30 that would be at home in a lawnmower to a 5w20 and even a 20w50 in a vehicle that specifies 5w30, guess what happened. You guessed it, nothing. You're good to go! Also welcome to the madness that is BITOG.

Beyond fine, 5w30 would be all that vehicle would ever see if it was mine. All my Fords get 5w30.

Originally Posted By: Belo
...So I'm an engineer and anal about stuff...

Welcome to BITOG! You'll fit right in!

welcome2.gif

Oh, and don't worry about the 5w-30...

Welcome to the craziness you'll discover BITOG can be. It is a fun place. Lots of learning and absorbing everything you ever want to know about oil and your vehicle.

Don't worry one bit about the 5w30. MAYBE you might notice a .1 or .2 less mpg. Most likely you won't see any change. I have used both in my 4.6 ford engine. Can't tell any difference.

My Ford specifies 5W-20, but I would rather use 5W-30 considering that it is a turbo GDI. But for the warranty period, I will stick to the 20 and save my receipts.

Welcome. Many here would argue that the need for 5-20 was mandated by the need for CAFE gas mileage requirements, but otherwise Ford would have asked for 5-30. I plan on doing a UOC on (used oil analysis) my 5-20 oil to see if there are signs of higher wear. Now back to the Super Bowl!

SF
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Either is a 5W qualified oil, so there can be no concerns with using either at low starting temperatures.
The 5W-30 is a little thicker at operating temperature and has a little higher HTHSv, but these may well be advantages rather than the opposite.
There will necessarily be some loss in fuel economy, but it will be subtle enough to be viewed as no more than theoretical. You likely won't see enough of a difference to notice it or measure it.
Nothing to worry about in this case.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
With all the timing chain fears I think 5w30 is the better choice. You did good

Lets see. I have put 425K with 20wt on my last three Ford engines with timing chains. Most of that with 0-20 M1. No problems. Yet.

Last edited:
Yep, you'll be fine. I've put 5W30 in many vehicles that call for 5W20, it all depends on what I have in my oil stash. Welcome to the board!

I bet your engine explodes in the next 1000 miles

Just kidding. It will be fine and never miss a beat or have any excess wear

Maybe you can get some free oil out of this screwup but do not waste the oil in the vehicle now

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Also welcome to the madness that is BITOG.

Oil madness in Bitog is measured.
Oil madness out there is unmeasureable,IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back