MetroPCS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings-

MetroPCS plans sure look good. They supposedly use the T-Mobile network. Has anyone had experience with MetroPCS to share?

I have had MetroPCS for 3 years now. 4 phones unlimited everything for just $100 per month (plus taxes). Bought my phones outright, Alcatel A30, Alcatel Fierce 4 and two LG Stylo 3 phones. The phone prices are so good that I don't even run insurance on them. Great service and coverage unless I venture into the upper peninsula of Michigan but then everyone has a problem there no matter what provider you have.

For me, MetroPCS is a major win.

The most important thing is to ask people who use them or T Mobil local to you and in your travel areas.

T Mobil is garbage in NH but that is area specific.

I have a 2 phone plan. Tax included is nice so you know you don't have to check the bill every month looking for what new fee they added this week.

I liked sprint better, but metropcs isnt bad.

I had Metro 5 yrs ago and the service was worthless here. Had a 5 hr dead zone between victorville,cal and King man,az. The only service that worked here was Verizon....and I was paying $280/month for that plus 2 phones. Now that metro is using AT&T there service is much better.

We switched back to metro last month. Plus they give you a free phone,Verizon charges you $600 for the same phone!

We are paying $79/month for 2 lines unlimited.

I have several friends that use MetroPCS, and they are not complaining. MetroPCS is a wholly-owned prepaid service of T-mobile.
They have a fast-growing number of stores everywhere they have service. They are a great value if you have good T-mobile coverage where you use your phone. T-mobile's tower footprint is the fastest growing network here in the US, trying to catch up with Verizon and AT&T. They have a reputation for very fast internet speed in the areas they serve.

I would say that if their plans or current promos offer you what you need, and there is good coverage where you use your phone, then you cannot go wrong with MetroPCS. They are definitely spending lots of money to improve their network and have better building penetration than ever with the new frequencies (bands) they are now using.

That being said, we use Cricket, wholly owned prepaid arm of AT&T. It works best in the building I work in, and we have 5 lines of service for $100 total. 5Gb data each line.

I had Metro for a couple months a year ago; it was the worst service I ever had. Part of the problem is the fact that is a red-headed stepchild of T-Mobil, it gets whatever bandwidth is left over. Dropped calls, downloads stopped in the middle, finally gave up. The good thing is there are no contracts. T-mobil came up with a 55 yr. old and over plan 2 totally unlimited lines for $60, inc. canada and Mexico, where I frequent often. Finally happy with phone service.

Also check out Cricket wireless, Cricket owned by ATT so you have their network all the time. We have been using it for a few years now, basic plan = unlimited everything, prices include ALL taxes and fees.

Get up to 5 lines $100 a month, total cost, 4 lines $100 (correct, get 4 lines and 5th is free) we have 3 lines = $90 a month ACTUAL payment

FYI, I also have a work supplied Verizon phone and can say, the Cricket works everyplace any other ATT phone and Verizon phone works/

Last edited:
Recently Cricket took away some of the discount for those 4th and 5th lines, so 3 lines of 5Gb each is still $90, but 4 lines is now $110 and 5 lines is $130. I understand we can keep the current $100 for 5 lines as long as we don't change any anything. We've been "grandfathered", so to speak.

Yes you are correct and I thought I checked before I made that post.
However depending on what's important to somebody, like if you don't stream movies or whatever they have another plan where you can get 4 lines for a hundred and unlimited everything.
The only thing is download speeds are limited to 3 megabits per second and not a big deal on a phone if it's not important to someone.

Yes correct again I believe Cricket grandfather's in anything that anybody is already paying and has a history of that. The cool thing is when there's no contracts there's no obligation to stay with any company and that's what I love about no contract phones I got tired of all the games with contracts and added on fees... Our family has had Cricket for a couple years now the service has been is rock solid as AT&T is. However I knew it was just a matter of time before offering five lines for $100 would end ... And so it did...
We pay the same as we've always paid $90 a month three lines unlimited everything, 5 gigs high speed per line which has been increased a few times at no extra cos.

anyway here's the link hope it works click

Last edited:
I've had MetroPCS for about 9 months, no complaints. I like that they include all taxes and fees in their price plans.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Can you use your phone as a hot spot on Metro?

Yes and no, depending on the terms of your plan. The newest unlimited 4 lines for $100 does not include hotspot or "tethering" as they call it. You can probably add that for extra cost.

Some plans or promos include a limited amount of tethering. You have to read the fine print.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
MintSim is $15 a month,uses T-Mobile and is unlimited talk,text, with 1gb data, prepaid.

Thanks for the info. I checked out the MintSim deals. Very attractive but speed is reportedly quite slow because T-Mobile customers get preference. What's leftover, MintSim gets. Also, their customer service is alleged to be poor.
Do you have experience with MintSim?

Originally Posted By: willbur
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
MintSim is $15 a month,uses T-Mobile and is unlimited talk,text, with 1gb data, prepaid.

Thanks for the info. I checked out the MintSim deals. Very attractive but speed is reportedly quite slow because T-Mobile customers get preference. What's leftover, MintSim gets. Also, their customer service is alleged to be poor.
Do you have experience with MintSim?
I have had mintsim for about 9 months now, no problems with anything. I don't use much data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back