Pickup truck recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings gentlemen...I got 261K miles on my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT. It's still running pretty good but looking to buy new 4x4 pickup. I commute 4 days a week (a hundred mile commute).
I know I can keep her running longer but just not interested in doing any more body work or whatever else might be sure to come up soon. I've been very satisfied with this truck, she doesn't owe me anything. I got it for 12,800 when it was three 3 years old and had 50K miles on her. Gas was at 5 bucks a gallon when I bought it and I got lucky.
Anyhow, I don't need a full size truck and am considering downsizing to a Tacoma sized pickup with an extended cab or king cab (whatever they call those with the small jump seats). The kids are now grown and don't need the extra room.
I'm split between the Tacoma or Nissan Frontier. Colorado seems overpriced to me. Ford ranger is making a comeback with new design next year but I'll prefer to stick with something tried and proven, plus I'm sure the excitement over it will make it pricey.. Sorry, I'm rambling on, I appreciate any input/opinions. I'm considering the Frontier due to the much lower price over the Toyota. I want a 4x4 automatic V6. I don't need a sporty off road package. Thanks!

I really liked the Tacoma when I test drove it two years ago. It's the best in that class. My first Toyota truck (a 1990 4Runner) is still on the road today...

I looked for a few years and did lots of shopping all,the brand are really nice. Test drive them all and see which one works the best for you.

Whatever you get, go across the border once a year, and get it Krown rust-proofed. My Krown-treated '95 Dakota is still going at 221K miles, and is essentially rust-free.

I wanted a Tacoma in 1995 but bought a Nissan hard body 4x4 2.4 4 cylinder 5 speed due to the price difference. I drove the little Nissan 19 years and 200,000 miles with a drive shaft center bearing replacement being the most expensive repair in 19 years. It hauled a lot of heavy loads. I parked it on a main drag in my town with a for sale sign on it and had 2 guys arguing over who spotted it first. I still see it occasionally and it still looks good. If I needed a new small truck I would certainly consider the Frontier.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
New or used?
Budget?
My buddy got a great deal on his Tacoma and loves it due to the mileage.

I'm wanting to buy new. I don't care about resale value, as you can tell with the mileage on my Ram, I love them long time.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: khittner
Whatever you get, go across the border once a year, and get it Krown rust-proofed. My Krown-treated '95 Dakota is still going at 221K miles, and is essentially rust-free.

Nearest one from me is in NY State about 4 hours away. Other than that way too far. Will keep that in mind though. Local dealer does Waxoyl, fluid film and NH undercoating.

I'm partial to the Toyota but I think the Frontier is probably just as good....and will likely cost you less money. I also like the looks of the new Colorado. I don't know much about them but if I were in the market for a midsize truck, I'd give it a test drive.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
This Frontier seems like a good deal with an msrp of $31k:

This is a local one I've been considering. It's a new 2017 roll over model for 27K. Nissan frontier

I would consider keeping the Ram around as a second .. or fourth vehicle, and getting a comfortable little car for the long commute. Maybe something like a Challenger Hellcat. It's rated 22 MPG highway. Not bad.
34.gif

Don't get a Nissan truck. Not exactly a segment leader. Get the Toyota. And you're right about the Colordo/Canyon. Ridiculously over priced for what you get, they should be stickering for a full $8000 less or more per whatever equip/pkg is or isn't on it then any incentives come further below that. Only then is someone not a chump for buying a Colorado/canyon.

In my opinion, the problem with small pickups in Toyota or Nissan flavor, they get about the same fuel economy as a full sized, half ton Chevy, Ford or Ram.

In regards to a Tacoma or Frontier, I've never owned either, but know folks who own or owned them. Never heard a complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back