My 1st Cut and Post FL400S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was cleaning out my dads shed this morning and found a used FL400S. I used his dremel to open it up. Here is my 1st cut and post oil filter.

Looks good sir:)

Thank You for the C&P
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
What are your thoughts on the filter after cutting it open?

I don't know. What am I looking for? I just was doing what every body did here.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Looks like media is torn in one place. Did this happen in service or as a result of your cutting?

What place? I put the filter in the trash but can go get it back. Where are you talking about?

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Any idea on how many miles it was in service for?

I asked pops and he said he didnt even know it waqs in his shed.

Originally Posted By: CajunLariat
Looks like media is torn in one place. Did this happen in service or as a result of your cutting?

What place? I put the filter in the trash but can go get it back. Where are you talking about?

6th photo - right side. Maybe it's just a light reflection playing tricks on me?

39186228605_0f8d574098_o.jpg

Originally Posted By: CajunLariat

6th photo - right side. Maybe it's just a light reflection playing tricks on me?

39186228605_0f8d574098_o.jpg

The 'hole' has a reflection. That's oil pooling, probably atop glue. Though the same my first glance.

Good job on your first c&p
smile.gif

Yes not a tear, just a pool of oil at the seam.

The FL400s is the best of the Motorcraft filters.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Good job on your first c&p
smile.gif

Yes not a tear, just a pool of oil at the seam.

The FL400s is the best of the Motorcraft filters.

+1 Agreed, a good C&P. Good on you for doing a cut & post.

I look for holes or tears in the media, damaged ADBV, damaged or in operative bypass valve. How well the media was glued. The integrity of the end caps. Excessive pleat distortion that might lead to a failure under slightly different operating conditions. Anything out of the ordinary. I look at what the filter trapped to decide on future maintenance. I view this as an opportunity to see what is happening in the engine without having to remove a valve cover or the oil pan. Was rust present in the can.

I probably left something out but this is a start. Enjoy the habit.
smile.gif

In the aviation business, we always cut open filters to look for metal bits. You could save a life.

Lycoming piston pin plug wear results in long slivers of aluminum in the pleats.
When you see that, you know you'll be pulling cylinders off soon.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
In the aviation business, we always cut open filters to look for metal bits. You could save a life.

Lycoming piston pin plug wear results in long slivers of aluminum in the pleats.

Are you an A&P mechanic ?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: Linctex
In the aviation business, we always cut open filters to look for metal bits. You could save a life.Lycoming piston pin plug wear results in long slivers of aluminum in the pleats.

Are you an A&P mechanic ?

Yes sir, since 1989.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back