Day 4 Of The Flu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finally feeling better since coming down with the flu on Thursday. I rarely get sick and haven't felt this bad since I had kidney stones. I tried taking precautionary measures at work but still got it. Anyway....distance yourself from those that are sick....disinfect and wash your hands.

Hope you feel better soon. Thankfully I've avoided it this year--but I had something that took me out for almost a week, and even then I still had a sore throat for about three weeks. Supposedly it's working its way up here, so, I'm trying to do what you say, wash more often and keep some distance.

Keep your hands out of your mouth and wash before eating food. You would be surprised how many people don't do this.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Keep your hands out of your mouth and wash before eating food. You would be surprised how many people don't do this.

That's right. Also avoid salad bars and sniffling sushi chefs.

The Flu seems stronger than ever this year.
An older distant relative of mine ( dad's aunt ) died a couple weeks ago from it in fact... she was 93 years old though and quite fragile though so...

This year was a bad year for the Flu

Fast outbreak, relatively ineffective vaccine (they predicted mutation wrong)

Hopefully some new science on the permanent Flu shot becomes a reality

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The flu is really bad this year, I lost my grandma 3 weeks ago from it.

Sorry to hear that.

Several strains (not just 2 or 3) unleashed err I mean "coherently mutated in the wild" this year. They say at least one of the serotypes is the same one that punished Australia during their winter. It's the simultaneous assault of several serotypes at once that's really terrorizing people's immunity.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I'm finally feeling better since coming down with the flu on Thursday. I rarely get sick and haven't felt this bad since I had kidney stones. I tried taking precautionary measures at work but still got it. Anyway....distance yourself from those that are sick....disinfect and wash your hands.

Just curious. Did you get the flew shot?

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Several strains (not just 2 or 3) unleashed err I mean "coherently mutated in the wild" this year. They say at least one of the serotypes is the same one that punished Australia during their winter. It's the simultaneous assault of several serotypes at once that's really terrorizing people's immunity.

Yeah, I've heard that it's being referred to as the Australian flu.

My family got nailed in 2017, and we rarely get it, we had two bouts, although the latter probably was a bad cold while down from the flu.

Then some ENT thing a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah, I got it too. Three weeks ago. This one hangs on tenaciously. Even after my fever broke, and I stopped hacking up Technicolor loogies, I'm still a bit of a mucus factory and my energy level is low.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Yeah, I got it too. Three weeks ago. This one hangs on tenaciously. Even after my fever broke, and I stopped hacking up Technicolor loogies, I'm still a bit of a mucus factory and my energy level is low.

Your wife needs to make you some chicken soup.

The flu requires contact with discharge from an infected person. You can get it by being sneezed on because the discharge carries the bug. This year one strain of the virus may be airborne, that is it does not require a carrier like the discharge of a sneeze. It can float around waiting for you to come along. If this is true and it continues to mutate we're in for some real problems. The CDC will only release information that it has processed through their public relations people so it's going to be interesting to follow these latest developments.

Vaccination compliance does not equate to a reduction of reported flu cases. Flu vaccinations may be safe even though they are not tested for distribution but may not effective. Vaccine manufacturers are protected by federal law from any liability and government agencies do all the heavy lifting for marketing and distribution.

LINK

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The flu is really bad this year, I lost my grandma 3 weeks ago from it.
I am sorry to hear that.

Originally Posted By: Warstud

You are contagious for 24 hours after your feaver goes back to normal.

Every year the talking heads say the flu is especialy bad..including this. I know of no one who caught it in my circle of friend and relatives. Lots of respiratory infectioins going around though..I mean a lot and in older people that can turn into pneumonia quickly.

But I am not buying the media hype. I did get the flu shot as I always do. Wife did not.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Just curious. Did you get the flew shot?

No I didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back