Transmission filter question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motorcraft FT140 screen media & WIX 58898 Automatic Transmission Filter synthetic media. ATP not sure. Do you think the wix would be better or more restrictive. Ford trans 5r55s (pita no dip stick). Ford recommends 100,000 service (that's not happening) Severe service 50,000 (not happening either). My first D&F was when purchased at 55,000. Second was at 66,000 third will be at 73,000 (3 drain and fill). Then I will be following a 20-30,000 mile drain. Motorcraft Mercon V fluid. Should I stay with the motorcraft ? Vehicle 2010 mountaineer 4.0 71,200 miles. Thank you

The second and third drain seem too quick after the first. I recommend doing a cooler line fluid exchange for the first time, then every 30K to 50K.

I'm not sure about the filter media. Which one is specified?

Originally Posted By: Kestas
The second and third drain seem too quick after the first. I recommend doing a cooler line fluid exchange for the first time, then every 30K to 50K.

Owners manual Says Motorcraft

In nearly all trannies, the filter is on the "suction side", meaning any restriction, by design or partial
plugging it can be a problem especially for GM trannies, resulting is slow jarring shifts that cause damage.

In an engine oil filter, the filter is on the output "pressure side" of the oil pump, so a 'restrictive' filter has
little effect unless you're racing and redlining the whole time.

A tranny filter is a glorified rock catcher since it can't catch typical wear metals and does only a fair
job at picking up clutch plate wear materials. That said, I add magnets to the oil pan and or the filter intake
where it is metal to pick up as much wear metals before they jam up the shift solenoids or the pressure control
solenoid which is on all the time. A GM TSB admits that wear metals are attracted to the PCS and is a problem.

So I pick an OEM equivalent filter knowing GM 4T65E is sensitive to semi-restricted AFT flow.

For the sake of continuity and staying on spec, why not stay with the Motorcraft Mercon V, as you are planning to? You're doing better than 95% of the rest of the population as far as taking care of your transmission. I would say that sets the odds in your favor for a 200-300k mile transmission life possibility.

Originally Posted By: littleant

Fords manual wouldn't say AC Delco.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
For the sake of continuity and staying on spec, why not stay with the Motorcraft Mercon V, as you are planning to? You're doing better than 95% of the rest of the population as far as taking care of your transmission. I would say that sets the odds in your favor for a 200-300k mile transmission life possibility.
bmwtechguy sounds like a plain. Thank you

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: littleant

Fords manual wouldn't say AC Delco.
No it would not
smile.gif

I used motorcraft oil and filter when I did a trans service on my 2015 Ford F150.

I have a 2005 Explorer with the 4.6 and the 5 speed auto. ONCE my mechanic used a non Motorcraft transmission filter and something happened and the vehicle had to be towed back, his expense. After that it has only seen Motorcraft transmission filters. It had transmission fluid exchanges and drop and fills approx every 25-30,000 miles. It now has 194,500 miles on it and the original transmission still shifts like new. The cost of the maintenance is a lot cheaper than replacing the transmission
wink.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
I have a 2005 Explorer with the 4.6 and the 5 speed auto. ONCE my mechanic used a non Motorcraft transmission filter and something happened and the vehicle had to be towed back, his expense. After that it has only seen Motorcraft transmission filters. It had transmission fluid exchanges and drop and fills approx every 25-30,000 miles. It now has 194,500 miles on it and the original transmission still shifts like new. The cost of the maintenance is a lot cheaper than replacing the transmission
wink.gif

Whimsey
100% Agree Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back