Iron skillet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over my father in laws the other day around noon and he says he is making some homemade hamburgers for lunch. I was like ok sounds good then he whips out an old iron skillet! And I was like O boy this can't be good! .. I was wrong! Best tasting burgers I have ever had I had two of them! The old Iron skillet made them taste fantastic they had a unique flavor. Anyone here use one?

Lodge makes good cast iron cookware right here in the USA. I have a Lodge cast iron griddle that fits on my gas grill. I cook scrapple and hamburgers outside when the weather is nice. The best cast iron is old stuff made by Wagner and Griswold. There is tons of info on the net about how to season and care for cast iron.

I also have a Lodge dutch oven and have used it to cook " to die for" chicken using only cheap charcoal briquettes.

Cast iron is heavy, Lodge also makes a lighter steel pan. Never used these.

I use iron skillets a lot, I think we have a case of 'confirmation bias' here, or a low expectation
that's exceeded! There's lots of little cooking tricks that can make make the burger better.

For me, adding mesquite wood chips to a BBQ grill adds a lot - an of course the quality of the meat!

That said, if you enjoyed it, then be happy!

Yup, hamburgers on cast iron are great. Melt some cheese and put an egg and fried onions on top. Perfect.

I'm a big fan of old cast iron, use a #9 Griswold all the time, and have a #10 Wagner for making from-scratch pizza.

I prefer old Lodge to new. If you keep your eyes open and frequent resale shops, you can sometimes pick up a #8 Lodge from the 1940s for $10 - $20.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The iron gets seasoned and adds to the flavor. Unfortunately cooking them like that makes the cholesterol higher than a BBQ where the grease can fall out.
BBQ adds cancerous carbon ! You can't win.

My mom is 89 years old and daily uses the same cast iron frying pan that she got as a wedding gift back in 1952.

Cast iron skillet cooking makes for the best burgers and steaks I've ever cooked. I don't even own a grill anymore.

I grew up with my Mother cooking on cast iron. My Wife does too. She has an old 14" Cast Iron pan that She inherited from her Father. Burgers are just one of the many things we fry up in it. She also has a smaller one just for eggs and about 5 more in the cabinet.

I stopped cooking steaks on the grill years ago. I sprinkle sea salt on the steaks 30 minutes prior to cooking and use a preheated cast iron pan. You need a good over the stove exhaust fan for this method. Some people sear them on a stovetop, then finish them off in a 500 degree oven. Grilled burgers over charcoal is still my favorite way of cooking burgers.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Curious how you guys are cleaning and storing your cast iron pans?
I scrape them, wipe them down with paper towels, then spray with cooking spray.

Iron skillet, fry pans in 8, 10, and 12 inch
Good for making beans, corn bread, bake perfect crispy bacon
Cast iron dutch oven for making roast whole chicken
And also good for french onion soup
I got a whole set and theyre awesome
Also a small cast iron flat griddle for making tortillas
And a long cast iron griddle for making fajitas on the grill
Without losing any juices

i Wash with very little soap and water dry immediately, coat with cooking oil/fat
To keep it from rusting
Eventually u get a nice thick shiny layer of non stick

Our family has cast iron pans that go back at least to the Depression.

On the Lodge brand check very close for the country of origin. The stuff you get in discount stores or at a good price is likely made in China. Spend a little more for USA made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back