Buying a used but reliable 4WD/AWD vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am currently looking for a used and reliable 4WD/AWD car that can climbs the mountainous I-68 because I need to make two round trips to West Virginia every month while coping with the hilly streets of WV in winter for at least another 18 months. My 4 cylinders Echo with AT is just too weak to climb the steep hills of I-68. Last time I pushed my Echo so hard that its transmission never sounds the same again. MY Wife's 2009 H6 Subaru Outback is adequate for the trips, but is very costly to maintain at dealer. With 96k miles it has gone through sun roof assembly, wheel bearing, front brake with disc twice, drive axles, cv joints, air bag warning, rear hatch wiring assembly, rear brake with disc, etc, that cost around $20k in maintenance over these years. So, I am looking for an used 4WD/AWD vehicle that can climbs steep hills but also cheaper to maintain. Most important of all I don't want to get stranded on the roadside in those mountains in the middle of nights especially in winter.

There are very few choices on the market. Subaru's 4 cylinder lineup is famous for blown head gasket. The dealer told me that 2012 and newer models should be good. If this is true, the price is out of my range. From the Craiglist I found a $6000 2004 Toyota Matrix AWD with 100k miles which has a 1.8L engine bigger than 1.5L in my Echo. And a $3500 1996 Toyota 4Runner 4WD 6 cylinders with 245k miles qualifies for a historic tag, which waives MD inspection and future emission test.

Now my Echo's check engine light is on and is due to pass the emission test before the end of March. I need a backup car while my Echo is in repair. So, what do you think of my two choices? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Simon

Originally Posted By: sifan
And a $3500 1996 Toyota 4Runner 4WD 6 cylinders with 245k miles qualifies for a historic tag, which waives MD inspection and future emission test.

I'm not sure if this applies everywhere, but I know in at least some states, there are restrictions on driving vehicles registered with historic tags. Insurance may not be responsible if you drive outside of those restrictions. You may just want to look into that for your area if you go that route.

It's hard to beat the tried and true drivetrain of a 1996-2003 4Runner. The 3.4 is a dead reliable engine with a timing belt that doesn't kill the engine if it breaks. Easy to maintain yourself if you so chose, but it sounds like you have all your maintenance performed by someone else. The automatic gearbox is dated as it's only a 4sp but it's robust, as is the remainder of the drivetrain. Gas mileage won't be great expect 12-15 in town and 17-20 highway.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
It's hard to beat the tried and true drivetrain of a 1996-2003 4Runner. The 3.4 is a dead reliable engine with a timing belt that doesn't kill the engine if it breaks. Easy to maintain yourself if you so chose, but it sounds like you have all your maintenance performed by someone else. The automatic gearbox is dated as it's only a 4sp but it's robust, as is the remainder of the drivetrain. Gas mileage won't be great expect 12-15 in town and 17-20 highway.

+1!

I can't see how the transmission should be hurt by climbing hills--I mean, it should have a cooler, and the engine should be at high revs. Maybe it's because it's an Echo--which is to say, a car that is kinda old now?

Anyhow, 4WD/AWD jacks the price up. Meaning if you have a fixed budget, you are automatically buying something older and/or with higher miles. If I was on a budget (and who isn't?) I'd first buy good tires (meaty all seasons or preferably snow/winter tires on dedicated rims), then get something "reliable". AWD/4WD last on my list.

I'm not much of a fan of part time 4WD, as it (usually) is only good in a straight line if the roads are only iffy. AWD/4WD can also lull one into thinking the roads are much better than they are. What's best is driving along in (F/R)WD until traction goes south, then slowing down & engaging 4WD. [Old Subies used to be FWD until you engaged the rear--those are all probably dead now, but I always liked that setup in a car. Many cute utes are now FWD until traction is needed.]

The Matrix sounds interesting; the 1.8 should skip the 2.4 oil issues. But it's also heavier so I wonder if you'll wind up back where you are: feeling underpowered on the hills. [Question: when climbing long hills, do you manually force a downshift, to keep rev's above say 3k?]

That 4Runner, hmm. Sounds cool, but: older cars usually cost more to keep going. That 4Runner has the "good" 3.4L but it also has a timing belt. At this age I'd be concerned about the radiator; I'd replace it proactively so as to avoid the internal trans cooler failing & taking out the transmission. Tall top heavy vehicle too--it's not unsafe but it's not a low slung car either. It will drive more like a truck. The 3.4L will feel the hills, especially if loaded up--but with good tires I'd think it'd be quite the snow that would stop it.

Just re-read the OP. This sounds like a spare vehicle? As in, not your daily driver. If so, then I'd opt for the 4Runner (again with good tires!). There are other options that I won't snub, but if you're an import guy (who doesn't like older Subaru) then I'm not sure what would be better & in budget. And easy(ish) to repair.

Sounds like the real problem is that you go to the dealer. Find an indy garage and learn to do some basic DIY repairs yourself.

x2

Otherwise in that $5000ish range you could get a used Jeep or Land Rover, I wouldn't drive anything else in the snow or mountains! But both would probably need some maintenance.
I think you'd be better off keeping the Subaru and finding a new shop. Anything else is kind of a band aid.

I'd skip the Matrix idea since it's slow and even worse with the AWD option. Plus it's narrow and taller than most cars so it really moves around on the hwy from cross winds. Which is another factor you will encounter on I68. You would be much better off with an 05 or newer Camry. Power is fine, wider and lower than the Matrix. Factor in some decent rubber and you will be golden.

The Matrix is better suited for zipping around town. The Camry is much, much better on the hwy.

Originally Posted By: sifan
And a $3500 1996 Toyota 4Runner 4WD 6 cylinders with 245k miles qualifies for a historic tag, which waives MD inspection and future emission test.

A 22 year old vehicle with 245k is going to nickel and dime you, don't care what brand it is. IMHO.

A 22 year old vehicle with 245k is going to nickel and dime you, don't care what brand it is. IMHO

Amen to that. Another hard lesson learned.

Chevy Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, Buick Rainier, and Isuzu Ascender with the 4.2L are all on the same platform. A 4x4 version of any of these should be decent, my grandfather has a 2002 Trailblazer that has been a pretty good car, has plenty of power too.

Something with a manual transmission will hold up better on mountain highways. Any little FWD car with snowtires will work. I am partial to Honda Civics, but whatever. A CR-V or Element with the manual trans and "real-time 4wd" is at least one step above FWD. Toyota made some pretty good All-Tracs, and the first gen RAV-4 was pretty good. For some reason, I almost never see first gen RAV-4s on the road anymore. Where did they go?

I’m going to +++ on FlyNavyP3’s suggestion. Toyota Four Runners have a great reliability and durability history.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
For some reason, I almost never see first gen RAV-4s on the road anymore. Where did they go?

Rust I'd guess, although they are long in tooth now too. Timing belt and age, repairs probably exceed worth for most owners.

Your price range is extremely limiting. I found a 2007 Tahoe in 2014 with only 55,000 miles for $21.5 and gladly paid it. Now, it has 125,000 miles and runs like a champ. Yes, I’ve invested in some repairs and preventative maintenance but I love me some American pushrod V8 with real 4WD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back